Should I apply this year or hold off until next? (Advice needed!!)

clinpsych0

Hi all! I am a recently graduated B.A Psych student who is planning to apply to clinical programs in Canada this year. Like many of us, this summer was supposed to be that final kick in getting research opportunities and possibly a few presentations under my belt but due to the COVID-19 situation, a lot of my plans have come to a halt. Due to this, I am considering whether it's even worth applying this year as I'm not too sure of my chances. If any of you all could review my current experiences and give me an unbiased opinion on my chances of getting in, that would be really greatly appreciated! 

+ GPA 3.8/4.33 
+ taking my GREs this summer! fingers crossed! 
+ 1 year volunteer RA + project manager at a developmental lab (was supposed to finish with an undergraduate thesis but due to health issues, had to take a semester off) (2nd-3rd yr)
+ summer (3month) volunteer RA at science institute's developmental lab in my province
+ 1 year volunteer RA + project manager at a social cognition and emotion lab (3rd-4thyr) -- am currently still working at this lab as a project manager for a new study we are hoping to launch
+ currently volunteering at my local crisis centre as a research grants assistant -- writing up community grant proposals to sustain the centre, managing a project on mental health advocacy for Indigenous youth, 
+ paid grants RA at the Children's Hospital Research Institute here in my province -- writing up grant proposals, becoming familiarized with CIHR, NSF, etc. funding. 
+ paid RA for mental health research + journalism hybrid project that is being published this fall, but is more of a journalism project and I am acting as the "researcher" on the team -- conducting literature reviews, analyzing qualitative and quantitative data, surveying individuals with mental illnesses, etc. 
- LOR: 1 from my supervisor at the lab I am volunteering at (can speak to my research abilities), 1 from the tenure professor I am working under for the mental health research project (very good relationship), and 1 from my statistics professor who can speak to my abilities strongly
no publications, presentations, etc as we were never given opportunity to present our data in the labs i worked in.. this is my major concern!

Please let me know your thoughts! I would love some constructive criticism on how I can strengthen my application and/or if I should wait until next year to apply and take a year off to gain some publications and presentations under my belt. Thank you!!

I definitely think you should apply and give it a try. As someone who has been going through two rounds of school application, it's somehow a matter of chance and luck to get in. Your profile really stands out for a recently graduated person, since you've had the desired research experience needed to start for a PhD. Unless, there's other things you want to try out after this. If you are convinced that being a clinical psychologist is what you want, then go for it. You might want to check if publication is desired. You can also try contacting admission officer and POI to get a sense if your experience is a match with them. Best of luck!

Given your experiences with grants and research, I would apply. If you don't get in anywhere then just consider it a practice application season.

On 5/21/2020 at 2:57 PM, higaisha said:

You seem like a good candidate for Canadian schools, I wouldn't count yourself out just yet! Lots of strong experiences.

Thank you! Means a lot :)

19 hours ago, PsyZei said:

Given your experiences with grants and research, I would apply. If you don't get in anywhere then just consider it a practice application season.

Thank you! I think that's what I'm going to do - apply but not get my hopes up toooo high. I'm trying to remind myself that not everyone gets in on their first try. Thanks again!

On 5/22/2020 at 7:47 AM, Rerun said:

I definitely think you should apply and give it a try. As someone who has been going through two rounds of school application, it's somehow a matter of chance and luck to get in. Your profile really stands out for a recently graduated person, since you've had the desired research experience needed to start for a PhD. Unless, there's other things you want to try out after this. If you are convinced that being a clinical psychologist is what you want, then go for it. You might want to check if publication is desired. You can also try contacting admission officer and POI to get a sense if your experience is a match with them. Best of luck!

Thanks so much for such a helpful response! I will definitely keep that in mind. Thanks again!