Sorry if this is a repeat topic, but I scoured the forums and couldn't find it anywhere..

Is there a comprehensive list of programs that offer funding for their MA students, or schools that offer a terminal MA?

Not sure about the states, but lots of Canadian MAs offer funding in terms of both scholarships and TAships. UBC and McGill's funding packages are especially nice, imo. Of course, those are limited and merit based..

Not sure about the states, but lots of Canadian MAs offer funding in terms of both scholarships and TAships. UBC and McGill's funding packages are especially nice, imo. Of course, those are limited and merit based..

But we should clarify that McGill does not offer funding to the majority of its MAs, aside from one or two isolated grants. That said, tuition is a fraction of the cost of a comparable American school.

lehigh, where i am going. also pretty sure uconn does. udel too.

The MA program at Boston University is technically a terminal one, with an option to internally reapply for the PhD program. They fund (full tuition with stipend) about half of the incoming MA class (approximately 7 out of 14).

Just a quick note (since I, too, was in the market for a funded MA)--not all "funded" programs provide funding to all accepted students. Case in point, American University. They admitted 10 students, but could only fund 3 this year. I'm not sure if Nebraska or Binghamton funded any MA students (also on that list). Also, there are some programs that say they don't fund their MA programs, but then sometimes offer partial funding.

I applied only to universities off of the LJ list. I was only offered full funding from one and partial funding from another. In retrospect, I'd look for universities that funded all of their MA students, not just some. I'd also apply to a school where you can get in-state tuition, just in case you end up with no funding offers.

Best of luck.

Edited by bluellie

Hello, good luck with the application process! I applied to several MA programs, and these were the ones that offered funding.

University of Chicago for their MAPH program (one year), but the most funding they ever give to anyone is half-tuition, so I turned them down.

Dartmouth--they offer full funding.

I applied and got accepted to a McGill MA, and the university is offering absolutely no funding whatsoever. No TA, no tuition reduction, zero. If the aid was merit-based, I guess I was not worth their money.

• 1 month later...

I just finished my first year of MA at Loyola Marymount. They don't claim to be "fully funded" but I received grants that cover my tuition and I have a teaching fellowship that covers my living expenses. And a lot of free food and booze. Most everyone receives some grant money and there are lots of RA positions available.

• 1 month later...