Why POI Don't Reply to Me Directly?

yyggsjy

Hi, I am contacting a potential POI for my PhD application, and the POI is the dean of department. However, I am confused why the POI do not reply to my email directly, but let the Director of Graduate Studies in the department to reply me.

The repliy said that:  I am reaching out to you in response to the email you had sent our Dean about the program.  I am here to answer any questions you might have about it and/or the application process.

I do not ask the potential POI for the info regarding the program/application process, but only the possibility to to PhD with him. So I am very confused why he let other people to reply me.Anyone has some thoughts? Much appreciated!

Did you explicitly ask if he's accepting students?

It's possible he does this with all prospective graduate student queries -- there are some (particularly older) professors who believe that communicating with applicants before acceptance is inappropriate (but others think it's not only appropriate, but necessary -- go figure!). Or it's possible that your email was unclear, and sounded like a general question about the admissions process.

5 minutes ago, AfricanusCrowther said:

Did you explicitly ask if he's accepting students?

It's possible he does this with all prospective graduate student queries -- there are some (particularly older) professors who believe that communicating with applicants before acceptance is inappropriate (but others think it's not only appropriate, but necessary -- go figure!). Or it's possible that your email was unclear, and sounded like a general question about the admissions process.

Maybe my email is unclear? I use "Inquiry for Potential PhD Opportunities with You" as the email title. I am not sure whether it is confused (I guess not?).

Anyway, thanks a lot for your help and useful infomation!

2 hours ago, yyggsjy said:

Maybe my email is unclear? 

Another possibility is that the recipient of your initial email has, in fact, answered your question by passing your query along to the DGS,

3 hours ago, yyggsjy said:

Maybe my email is unclear? I use "Inquiry for Potential PhD Opportunities with You" as the email title. I am not sure whether it is confused (I guess not?).

There's also a possibility that the departmental culture is such that professors don't formally take students until after coursework is completed because your interests might change as well as who you'd like to serve on your committee. The humanities tend to accept cohorts based on the whole rather than having professors decide who they'd like to work with them in their lab. As a result, establishing a connection prior to applying might not be as important in this case.

Your subject line is actually unclear.  Remember, in English, "you" can be used as a singular or plural.  The POI, a very busy department chair, may read the subject line and interpret it that you're interested in the program (i.e. working with you guys!).  If the POI did in fact open the email and see that you have made explicit connections to his work and inquiring whether he is accepting students for fall 2021, and then forwards the email on, he may (a) be socially inept (not unusual), (b) think that the DGS can handle all of your questions until to the point where s/he can longer do so and forwards the email back to the POI, or (c) all of the above plausible reasons.

I would politely respond to the DGS and say that you are excited about the program, ask whatever questions you have, and inquire whether this POI is taking students. Go from there and see what happens.

7 hours ago, Warelin said:

There's also a possibility that the departmental culture is such that professors don't formally take students until after coursework is completed because your interests might change as well as who you'd like to serve on your committee. The humanities tend to accept cohorts based on the whole rather than having professors decide who they'd like to work with them in their lab. As a result, establishing a connection prior to applying might not be as important in this case.

i got it, thank you for the info:)

5 hours ago, TMP said:

Your subject line is actually unclear.  Remember, in English, "you" can be used as a singular or plural.  The POI, a very busy department chair, may read the subject line and interpret it that you're interested in the program (i.e. working with you guys!).  If the POI did in fact open the email and see that you have made explicit connections to his work and inquiring whether he is accepting students for fall 2021, and then forwards the email on, he may (a) be socially inept (not unusual), (b) think that the DGS can handle all of your questions until to the point where s/he can longer do so and forwards the email back to the POI, or (c) all of the above plausible reasons.

I would politely respond to the DGS and say that you are excited about the program, ask whatever questions you have, and inquire whether this POI is taking students. Go from there and see what happens.

hi, thank you TMP for the helpful and detailed advices, will do so according to your suggestion ~