Trouble taking GRE at home

ccspeechie

Question

Hi!! I am having the absolute worst time re scheduling my GRE exam so I can take it from home. I was supposed to take my exam in June at a testing center near me, but that testing center closed. Proctor U is impossible to schedule with. Every single time I click any date in the near future, it tells me "It appears the time you selected has been blacked out or the exam time would extend into a blackout". None of the proctor U customer service people have helped me. ETS had my friend on hold for 2+ hours and then dropped the call. This same friend was supposed to take her GRE last weekend. She met with her proctor, scanned the room, etc, and when it came time for the exam, ETS was giving them trouble and they had to cancel her exam.

Has anyone been successful in scheduling and taking the GRE from home?

2 answers to this question

I've had a few test dates cancelled on me by Proctor U. I don't think this solution is really conducive to test taking. It feels very poorly planned and very badly executed. There are a lot of good graduate programs waiving the GRE this cycle, and I believe given the circumstances that seems prudent. 

Even if I can agree a test date with Proctor U, I'm also concerned about consistent internet connectivity. I'm an American expatriate and frequently travel to places where my internet connectivity comes by way of a mobile device. Even in hotels where I have stayed, internet connectivity is unreliable.