Programs going online

history110

Hi all! So my program is going to be online the fall due to COVID and possibly in the winter as well. I'm curious if anyone else's programs are doing the same and your thoughts on it. Obviously in history we're better suited to go online than the sciences, yet I am going miss the opportunity to see and network with my peers in person.

I'm jealous that your university has gone online.  Trust me, you do not want to be on campus with thousands of undergrads who will not let COVID19 stop them from socializing and partying. As a friend puts it, campuses are petri dishes.

There is no harm in emailing grad students and faculty for a Zoom coffee chat :) You will also see who else is attending Zoom events in your department and try to build conversations from those points.

Very true! While I somewhat sadened by it, I am very relieved about not moving during a pandemic and dealing with undergrads (especially as my school has 60k students...)

That is good advice! My department has said it is going to try organize virtual social hours so I plan on tuning into those and then reaching out to fellow graduate students to see if they want to do Zoom coffee/study/writing sessions.

My uni still hasn't made a decision. The grapevines are saying that we will be hybrid, but all graduate students will be expected to come to campus at least once a week. This whole situation is a mess and is not getting better any time soon. Yet, unis are pretending it is over for the sake of money. *sigh*

Edited by Tigla

My university is online for grad programs and "hybrid" for undergrad--although every course that is offered on campus must be made available online if a student requests it. I'm ABD so I'm not worrying about classes, but I'm grateful for an active dissertation writing group that meets virtually on Mondays. We do Slack text check-ins on Friday. This has provided the pandemic with some sense of normalcy. Our HGSA is active and keeps planning virtual movie nights or Zoom happy hours, which is nice. I'll be teacher of record for the first time ever this fall--so, not ideal time to get my own classroom, but excited to have final say over ethical decisions related to COVID in my classroom instead of having to run it up the TA food chain. I'd definitely suggest trying some Zoom events for fun instead of just for work! Makes a world of difference.

If your program is going to be on line, and especially if you're gong to be teaching, I very strongly recommend that you ask your department in writing for policy on how to use technology. The policy should have enough "how to," "do-s", and "do nots" that allow you as end users to protect your risk. IMO, the policy should answer questions including:

• What are a T.A.'s responsibilities as a T.A. if a student does not have access to Zoom?
  • What may T.A.'s do if a student broadcasts from his or her residence wearing controversial items of clothing, or displaying firearms, or is disruptive?

Ideally, the policy will include measures for you to be reimbursed for license fees if not also network access and technology. (It's my position that departments should subsidize fully professional accounts that T.A.'s use and mandate that all section meetings be recorded., and that T.A.s be issued equipment that belongs to the school.)

On 6/15/2020 at 5:58 AM, Tigla said:

Yet, unis are pretending it is over for the sake of money. *sigh*

I understand and share some of your frustration. I do ask that you understand that many academic institutions are realizing how dependent they are on revenue generated by people being on campus and the revenue generated by taxes on a municipal, county, and state level. In some cases, institutions may be deciding that they simply do not have a choice -- either open campus or start firing people as a broader plan of shutting down entire programs and departments.

Ditto to @Sigaba's points about TA responsibilities.  Since TAing for online classes actually involved MORE work than in-person, do your due diligence to keep track of your active hours so you are not going beyond the maximum time limit (generally 20 hr/week for 50%/.5 appointmnt)