Low GPA

cockroach

Hi, 

I am going to apply for philosophy PhD programs in the USA, and I am so nervous about my undergrad GPA. I know lots of people asked a similar question; however, I could not find anyone who has a similar story. I am a philosophy student in one of the best university in a third-world country. However, being one of the best university in my country does not make it known in the USA. I had terrible problems with my life (causing by political situations) which makes me fall in a rush depression while I was not able to give any name about what I was experiencing. After I understood what the problem about myself is, I started to study so hard while also I was struggling with my economic issues. My undergraduate GPA is 3.12, and the highest GPA of the department in my graduate year is 3.6. It means, in my university, it is not easy to have a high GPA. Then, I started an MA in the same university, and my GPA is 3.8; by the way, the only semester which I did not work, my GPA was 4.0. 

During these 6 months, I will just focus on my PhD applications. I will give lots of money, at least 1000 dollar, which was not easy to earn. So, I need some advice, some comment about my situation to make my mind clear to not hesitate and feel relax during these 6 months. I will apply DePaul, PennState, Emory, Stony Brook, Villanova, Duquesne, Ohio State, Purdue, Oregon, Kentucky, South Florida, Loyola, Vanderbilt.

I have lots of non-academic philosophy experience—reading groups, gatherings, non-academic summer schools, translations etc. Everyone has a talent, and I think mine is abstract and conceptual thinking, I am good at philosophy although I am not a Nietzsche of course. However, I am good at writing, as my professors say. With my advisor, we are studying on my article to publish it. I submit another article and wait for an answer. Probably, I will have 2 publications until the end of the year. I think my SOP, WS and LOR will not be below perfect. 

First, is it possible to be accepted with this low GPA? I know that I am not below the minimum threshold, 3.0, however, lots of university says that the accepted students’ average GPA is around 3.7. Could my 3.8 grad GPA (though it is also not high but it is the highest one in my department) or possible good GRE score cover this weakness? 

Second, is there anything you would suggest me to do? What can I do to increase my chance? 

Third, I am not applying to top programs, am I right? Still, it still is so competitive. People say no, low GPA is not a big problem however I could not see anyone who has accepted with low gpa coming from third-world country. Is there anyone who has similar background but successful story? 

If you would that my chances are so low, I would be so relaxed and find any other way to continue my academic life. 

TL;DR: Is it possible to be accepted with 3.12 undergrad and 3.8 grad GPA to the philosophy PhD programs in the USA with a well-studied application file? 

p.s.: I ask these questions after reading everything I can find.  

Thanks in advance.

You're right the optics don't look good for undergrad. But it is possible to get accepted. It needs to be balanced against everything else. Your grades in grad school are not bad, not the best, but it is possible to get accepted. Again, all things considered.

Your letter writers, though, should mitigate against this. They should be able to say that your grades put you in the 85 percentile or 90 percentile, or ideally, >95 percentile. Make sure you have excellent letter writers with plenty positive to say about you.

The things you need to work on: writing sample should be immaculate. It should have an argument. It should have support for that argument. It should be clear, with linear flow and headers and verbal signposting. It should handle a topic that shows you did research outside of the course syllabus. It should be readable by someone who has never read the author you are dealing with, or has never even read the topic being handled.

In order to accomplish this, seek advice about the best paper you can put forward. Ask your letter writers for advice. Be open minded about re-writing the paper from scratch. Ask friends who have never touched your topic to read it for clarity. Flag everything that they said was not clear. Ask your philosopher friends whether you've given a good argument. Ask the professor you wrote the paper for what you need to fix to make it a competitive writing sample. Fix everything they tell you is wrong.

In case it is not obvious: your writing sample can't be co-authored.

In other news, if you do everything right, you can still get shut out while applying for 20 programs. It is extremely competitive. It has a lottery-like aspect to it.

Edited by Duns Eith

Thank you so much for your answers! You can't imagine how relaxed I am. 

1 hour ago, Duns Eith said:

The things you need to work on: writing sample should be immaculate. It should have an argument. It should have support for that argument. It should be clear, with linear flow and headers and verbal signposting. It should handle a topic that shows you did research outside of the course syllabus. It should be readable by someone who has never read the author you are dealing with, or has never even read the topic being handled.

In order to accomplish this, seek advice about the best paper you can put forward. Ask your letter writers for advice. Be open minded about re-writing the paper from scratch. Ask friends who have never touched your topic to read it for clarity. Flag everything that they said was not clear. Ask your philosopher friends whether you've given a good argument. Ask the professor you wrote the paper for what you need to fix to make it a competitive writing sample. Fix everything they tell you is wrong.

I started to study on my writing sample this very day after reading your answer. 

All the best!