Duke MPP Quality Compated to Peers?

Hi everyone,

I am a rising junior at Duke - studying public policy and political science. I'm considering applying to Duke's 4+1 MPP program. I would start the MPP my senior year. 

I am currently on 100% financial aid as an undergraduate. My concern is whether it make more sense to wait until senior year and attempt to get into a higher ranked program like Kennedy, Ford, Goldman, or SIPA. Or whether I should study for the GRE my junior year and attempt to get into the 4+1 program.

Is there an actual difference in the quality of education or career outcomes between these insitutions for the MPP? I am most interested in social policy: immigration, wealth inequality, education. I would like to end up in federal or state government. 

1 hour ago, MochaJerry said:

Hi everyone,

I am a rising junior at Duke - studying public policy and political science. I'm considering applying to Duke's 4+1 MPP program. I would start the MPP my senior year. 

I am currently on 100% financial aid as an undergraduate. My concern is whether it make more sense to wait until senior year and attempt to get into a higher ranked program like Kennedy, Ford, Goldman, or SIPA. Or whether I should study for the GRE my junior year and attempt to get into the 4+1 program.

Is there an actual difference in the quality of education or career outcomes between these insitutions for the MPP? I am most interested in social policy: immigration, wealth inequality, education. I would like to end up in federal or state government. 

I think the biggest problem you have is that you have no idea want to do with your life right now. All the things you are interested in per se are decently different career paths.

That being said, no matter where you go to grad school (even if you are one of the historically few HKS kids (granted more during COVID) who are coming straight from undergrad), your career outcomes will be worse off than someone who went to the same (if not even lesser) policy school as you but has work experience (obviously it depends on quality of work experience as well).

That being said, I do think Terry Sanford is a solid policy school program for domestic policy (they have good strengths in IR and IDEV too, but their unique strength is domestic policy). I would say it is equal to Ford and Goldman (unless you have a regional preference). Kennedy and SIPA might be a minor leg up, but at the end of the day, especially in the areas you are looking into, you end up in the same career opportunities. You compete based upon work experience + networking + problem exposure.

I think one alternative option for you if you really want to get an MPP within a year after graduation is to go to Oxford for your MPP after graduation. The downside is that it isn't as quant oriented, but it is a terrific experience + only 1 year + it is great to see a global view on domestic policy matters.

4 hours ago, GradSchoolGrad said:
5 hours ago, MochaJerry said:

Hi everyone,

That being said, I do think Terry Sanford is a solid policy school program for domestic policy (they have good strengths in IR and IDEV too, but their unique strength is domestic policy). I would say it is equal to Ford and Goldman (unless you have a regional preference). Kennedy and SIPA might be a minor leg up, but at the end of the day, especially in the areas you are looking into, you end up in the same career opportunities. You compete based upon work experience + networking + problem exposure.

I agree, Sanford, Ford and Goldman are all great programs -- but less portable than HKS/SIPA. Before IDEV, I worked in social/education policy -- outside of the beltway/tristate area-- and my bosses had either graduate degrees from the local state university or from top Ivy League schools like Harvard and Columbia -- in policy or education. 

Goldman is probably the strongest of those 3, and has a great social policy rep, but its student body is largely in-state -- which may limit you to CA to an extent.

Also, definitely get some experience, it'll enhance your job prospects and make you competitive for scholarships.