journals

theproblemseeker

On 6/22/2020 at 4:23 PM, theproblemseeker said:

I don't think I was looking for advice on whether I am worthy enough to be accepted or not. But thank you for dismissing me without even knowing me.

While @jbc568's reply was not convivial, I think it would be a mistake for you not to consider very carefully the guidance it offers. As a graduate student you will be expected to generate answers to your own questions. IME, using the application process to develop that skill is very beneficial.

Using your OP as an example, providing the names of what one thinks are top journals and then asking for feedback sends an entirely different message than asking for suggestions.

On 6/25/2020 at 2:47 PM, Sigaba said:

While @jbc568's reply was not convivial, I think it would be a mistake for you not to consider very carefully the guidance it offers. As a graduate student you will be expected to generate answers to your own questions. IME, using the application process to develop that skill is very beneficial.

Using your OP as an example, providing the names of what one thinks are top journals and then asking for feedback sends an entirely different message than asking for suggestions.

Still, there are more productive and, dammit, nicer ways of communicating. Sorry but I see this sort of thing a lot on this site: a good point, such as "do some due diligence before asking a question"—not getting across because snark makes the "guidance" too bitter to swallow. I'd love to see the moderators and more seasoned users of this forum encourage folks to follow a minimum of collegial discourse. An easy rule of thumb, for example, is to ask before posting: would this ever be something I'd feel comfortable saying to the OP in person? 

Edited by killerbunny