Publication fees

Hi everyone,

I am a first-year counseling psychology Ph.D. student, and I'm looking to try to publish a paper I wrote with a peer. My program does not adhere to the advisor model until around the third year, so I'm currently on my own. I have one published article that was done with my Master's thesis advisor, so this time I am trying to begin to understand how to navigate the sea of publishing. I guess the most important issue right now is figuring out which journals charge for publications (the journal in which I published previously did not charge any fees). If the fees (publication, post-processing) exist, are they usually stated outright on the journal website, or should I reach out to the journal? 

I also greatly appreciate any advice on how to figure this publishing thing out as a graduate student.

Thanks!

I don't think any of the reputable psych journals charge for publishing, at least not to my knowledge. Even though you do not have an official mentor, is there any faculty member who are working with/is an unofficial mentor? If so, I would speak to them. Otherwise, look at the journals that most of your sources are from as a starting point for figuring out what journal may be a good fit to submit to. 

27 minutes ago, PsyDuck90 said:

I don't think any of the reputable psych journals charge for publishing, at least not to my knowledge. Even though you do not have an official mentor, is there any faculty member who are working with/is an unofficial mentor? If so, I would speak to them. Otherwise, look at the journals that most of your sources are from as a starting point for figuring out what journal may be a good fit to submit to. 

Thank you, that's good advice!

Usually journals have a guidelines for authors section where you can find that information. Some journals will have a publication fee if they are strictly open access journals. But most have the option to either pay a publication fee to make your article open access, or to not go that route and publish for free.

On 6/28/2020 at 10:03 AM, dr. bubbles said:

Usually journals have a guidelines for authors section where you can find that information. Some journals will have a publication fee if they are strictly open access journals. But most have the option to either pay a publication fee to make your article open access, or to not go that route and publish for free.

Oh yeah, I don't know why the open access option slipped my mind. I immediately thought of the predatory "pay to play" type journals that don't really peer review lol.