Can I get into a decent Stats PhD program?

Hi guys. 
I hope everyone is well and healthy. I was wondering if it is possible for me to get into a top 40 PhD program in Statistics from US or Canada. My profile can be summarised as follows; 

Undergraduate degree: B.A. (Honors) Economics with Minor in Mathematics

Undergrad Institution: University of Delhi (Tier -1 college) 

GPA: 

Relevant coursework (one sem course): Mathematical Economics I and II, Linear Algebra, Differential Equations, Real Analysis (At the level of Bartle and Sherbert), Calculus I and II, Econometrics (Got 4 in all of them). Also did a course in Applied econometrics. 

The Math econ courses covered some basic multivariate calculus, linear algebra and optimisation. 

Research work: Did one project where I used 2SLS regression to quantify the level of crowding-out of domestic private investment due to Foreign Direct Investment using a partial adjustment model of capital stock.

No other research experience. 

GRE: 170 in Quant and 161 in Verbal

Appeared in Three actuarial exams namely, Probability and Mathematical Stats (85%), Financial Mathematics (89%) and Statistical Methods (72%). 

Grad Institution: Indian Statistical Institute

Degree: MS in Quantitative Economics

GPA: 74% in first sem. (I am yet to complete the rest of the degree). 

Relevant courses: Probability theory (61%), Math methods (86%) , Stats (67%) (Taught at the level of Casella and Berger). 

I’ll have taken courses in Analysis I (Rudin), Analysis II, Measure theory, Time series and probably advanced linear algebra and linear models before applying. I will try my level best to secure good grades in these courses.  

Also note  that I will be applying for an MS statistics (most likely to an institution with thesis component) before applying to a PhD program. I would’ve taken the GRE math subject test before the MS program. 

Also, please note that a friend of mine posted a similar profile a few days back. I thought mine is somewhat different. So wanted to get your feedback and advice on what can be done to secure a place in top 40 program in statistics in US or Canada. Will going through the MS stats route improve my chances? If you want to provide your valuable guidance on getting a good MS program, you are more than welcome. I am not very confident of getting into a good MS program and eventually a PhD but wanted to give my best shot. 

Thanks a lot! 

Hello. Nice to see that you two are moving towards Statistics. I really forgot the maximum limit of the courses you are allowed  to choose from MStat course list. However,  I am afraid that you can take all of Analysis-I & II; Measure Theoretic Probability; Linear algebra & linear model as your credit courses during your MSQE. My suggestion will be to take Analysis I which will be delivered this fall (and I guess it is going to start soon. Stay tuned) and then try to take Measure on your last semester. But yes, if it is not too much for you, perhaps you can try taking the other two as non credit (provided your schedule allows you to do so). However, note that if you apply this year you will be able to show only two courses (viz. Analysis-I & Linear algebra) on your transcript as the other two will be delivered in the next spring. But that should not be a big problem. In fact most of our MStat seniors without measure theory have got selected in universities like Iowa State, Ohio State, Minnesota, UC Davis etc. But they had year long sequence of courses like Statistical Inference, Mathematical Statistics, a course on linear algebra & model and many more. So my personal felling is that it would be much more easier for you to get selected into a top 40 Economics PhD program this year rather than Statistics PhD. (Considering the universities where your seniors are accepted for Economics PhD, I suppose you already know why I am telling this) 

So, you are correct that attending an MS Statistics course would place you in a good competition for top PhD program. If you want to get in a Statistics PhD this year my advice will be to talk with your close professors (possibly your future recommendator) and ask them if they have any good university in their mind where you would be accepted with the background you have. They will be able to guide you properly whether you should apply for MS first. 

Taking subject GRE will be a very good option be it MS or PhD application. But I feel if the situation continues in this way it would be difficult to conduct the test this year as it is paper & pen based. Stanford has already waived subject GRE this year which was previously mandatory. 

I think you should get enough posts here which would tell you which MS program you should aim for. Alternatively, I hope some other would post it as a reply to your post. In US, funding may be a problem for the applicants of this year, specifically for overseas students. This is not my comment but the the graduate chair of one of the universities made this comment when we tried to contact him. So in such a situation the funding condition for MS programs (which usually faces dearth of funding)  is still unclear. You should check out with the universities once you select them. 

For thesis based master's I feel that Canadian universities provide guaranteed funding. So you might be interested in applying in some of the universities like UBC, Waterloo, Alberta etc.

Edited by Anonymous04

57 minutes ago, Anonymous04 said:

However,  I am afraid that you can take all of Analysis-I & II; Measure Theoretic Probability; Linear algebra & linear model as your credit courses during your MSQE. My suggestion will be to take Analysis I which will be delivered this fall (and I guess it is going to start soon. Stay tuned) and then try to take Measure on your last semester. But yes, if it is not too much for you, perhaps you can try taking the other two as non credit (provided your schedule allows you to do so). However, note that if you apply this year you will be able to show only two courses (viz. Analysis-I & Linear algebra) on your transcript as the other two will be delivered in the next spring. But that should not be a big problem. 

Thank you so much for your reply. Yes @Recklessreader and I are hoping to take Linear Algebra and Linear Models, and Analysis - II as non credit subjects since that seems to be our only option. We also think that we will delay applying for an MS by one year so that we can get all the Math courses on the transcript as well as give the GRE Math Subject Test in April.

You seem to know the working of the Stats department at Indian Statistical Institute.Do you think professors from the statistics faculty will be willing to write us LOR’s(assuming that we do well in their subjects)?, we have been a little apprehensive about how they will receive us considering our background.
We will definitely try to get in touch with the Statistics faculty and follow their advice.

Thanks again, your reply was very helpful.

I do not think professors from Statistics department would deny for recommendation. In the mean time you might discuss with your Economics professor also to get to know if they are encouraging you to apply for Statistics Program. 

If you are deferring for one year and can take all these courses I feel that you would be able to apply straight to a Statistics PhD program. In US most of the PhD program do not assume that you have a master's degree. There are master level coursework which you have to complete before you actually start working towards PhD. This is the normal route for any PhD program. Some program even allows you to obtain your MS degree by completing some more coursework. There is not any problem with applying for a double master but it might result some additional years for finishing your PhD.

On 6/30/2020 at 4:32 AM, Anonymous04 said:

I do not think professors from Statistics department would deny for recommendation. In the mean time you might discuss with your Economics professor also to get to know if they are encouraging you to apply for Statistics Program. 

If you are deferring for one year and can take all these courses I feel that you would be able to apply straight to a Statistics PhD program. In US most of the PhD program do not assume that you have a master's degree. There are master level coursework which you have to complete before you actually start working towards PhD. This is the normal route for any PhD program. Some program even allows you to obtain your MS degree by completing some more coursework. There is not any problem with applying for a double master but it might result some additional years for finishing your PhD.

Thank you for your reply. We will also consider the option of applying to a stats PhD directly. 

First, you shouldn't double post just because no one responded to your initial post.

You could probably get into a couple good MS programs, but you have almost no shot at getting into a PhD program in the top-40 with your profile. For an international student, your math background is pretty deficient. I do not see multivariable calculus on your resume. While you may have covered it in another class, I don't think that will be enough. I think even with the masters, it will be difficult for you to get into a good PhD program.

How does Indian GPA translate into US/Canadian ones? If your 74% is equivalent to an A- or above and you do well in real analysis/measure theory, you may have a shot at schools in the 30-50 range such as Florida State/UConn/Ohio State and tie-2 schools in Canada such as Simon Fraser/Western Ontario. From my experience, the subject test is pretty useless unless you aim for Stanford/Chicago/Wharton so I wouldn't take it. 

On 7/1/2020 at 8:44 PM, StatsG0d said:

First, you shouldn't double post just because no one responded to your initial post.

You could probably get into a couple good MS programs, but you have almost no shot at getting into a PhD program in the top-40 with your profile. For an international student, your math background is pretty deficient. I do not see multivariable calculus on your resume. While you may have covered it in another class, I don't think that will be enough. I think even with the masters, it will be difficult for you to get into a good PhD program.

Sure. I’ll keep my expectations reasonable while applying for a PhD. Thanks. 

On 7/2/2020 at 8:35 AM, Casorati said:

How does Indian GPA translate into US/Canadian ones? If your 74% is equivalent to an A- or above and you do well in real analysis/measure theory, you may have a shot at schools in the 30-50 range such as Florida State/UConn/Ohio State and tie-2 schools in Canada such as Simon Fraser/Western Ontario. From my experience, the subject test is pretty useless unless you aim for Stanford/Chicago/Wharton so I wouldn't take it. 

Yes it translates to an A- 

Well I thought taking a subject test is my weakly dominant strategy. It may improve my chances in PhD to some extent. I’ll keep your opinion in mind.