Advice regarding applying to Canadian PhDs

philoquant

I'm a US citizen applying to two quant programs in Canada (University of Manitoba and York). I'm quite familiar with the US application process, but I was wondering if there's any differences between the US and Canada that I need to consider. I've seen that a lot of people apply for external funding, but I haven't been too successful at finding funds for international students. Is that a must? I think you need a masters to attend, but I'm not worried about that. Is there anything important I'm missing?

External funding is mostly for domestic students. You can apply for OGS at York, but I don’t know what‘s available for Manitoba. A lot of programs limit the number of international student they accept because they’re more expensive to fund, so check with the departments before applying. 

Regarding the masters thing, it’s a bit different than in the US, where MA and PhD programs seem to be quite separate. Here, they’re often combined and most programs accept students into the masters program with the expectation that you continue to the PhD at the same school. So it’s not really a terminal MA. I mention this because some PhD programs reserve their spots for their own masters students and it might be a good idea to check. I imagine this is less of a problem for quant than more popular disciplines, though.