Is the 5 lb book still relevant?

LavenderGoat

I asked this in r/gre but I was wondering if the content in the 5 lb book is relevant to the present day GRE? I've heard from gregmat that the verbal section isn't very applicable but the quantitative section is alright. Can someone who's taken the GRE and looked at the 5 lb book attest to that?

• 1 month later...

I do not know if this is still relevant, but I used the 5 lb (ugh, imperial system) book to prepare for the quantitative section of the GRE, and it was by FAR the best available resource. I found it even better than the official ETS GRE guide. So many exercises! I did not check out the verbal part of it, so I cannot give any feedback on that (but, like you, I have heard it is not as good). In contrast, Magoosh and Kaplan = toilet. And please, do not buy any of these books. The price of the test + score reports are already too high. There are other ways of getting them (*wink*)

Edited by clesanbar

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2020 at 1:27 PM, clesanbar said:

I do not know if this is still relevant, but I used the 5 lb (ugh, imperial system) book to prepare for the quantitative section of the GRE, and it was by FAR the best available resource. I found it even better than the official ETS GRE guide. So many exercises! I did not check out the verbal part of it, so I cannot give any feedback on that (but, like you, I have heard it is not as good). In contrast, Magoosh and Kaplan = toilet. And please, do not buy any of these books. The price of the test + score reports are already too high. There are other ways of getting them (*wink*)

Thank you for the response! I'm glad I didn't purchase any of the other books before finding.. the other way to get them lol!