Harvard GRE requirement changing ?

Apparently the admissions committee is discussing changes to the application process for 2021. Can it be possible that they won’t require the GRE for some if not all of the KSG programs? 

On 7/15/2020 at 4:09 AM, columbia09 said:

Apparently the admissions committee is discussing changes to the application process for 2021. Can it be possible that they won’t require the GRE for some if not all of the KSG programs? 

It certainly seems like the committee is open to examining the GRE requirement. This is an excerpt from the HKS admission blog dated July 7, 2020.

"We are aware that testing agencies have changed the delivery of exams in response to COVID-19, but even so, some applicants face barriers that did not exist in the past. Rest assured that as soon as the Committees set policy for the coming year, the details will be shared on this blog and on the application requirements portion of our website. "

8 hours ago, goinfor3 said:

It certainly seems like the committee is open to examining the GRE requirement. This is an excerpt from the HKS admission blog dated July 7, 2020.

"We are aware that testing agencies have changed the delivery of exams in response to COVID-19, but even so, some applicants face barriers that did not exist in the past. Rest assured that as soon as the Committees set policy for the coming year, the details will be shared on this blog and on the application requirements portion of our website. "

I saw that. I can see them getting rid of it completely this year. 

2 hours ago, columbia09 said:

I saw that. I can see them getting rid of it completely this year. 

I got an email from HKS telling me how much they value a high GRE score for the MPA/ID in the last week, so I really doubt they would completely remove it. 

2 hours ago, 2711383 said:

I got an email from HKS telling me how much they value a high GRE score for the MPA/ID in the last week, so I really doubt they would completely remove it. 

So what changes can they implement 

2 hours ago, columbia09 said:

So what changes can they implement 

I mean there's obviously a chance they'll make it "optional". But as with most programs that have the GRE as optional, you don't really have that much of an option unless you're a top candidate. 

8 hours ago, 2711383 said:

I mean there's obviously a chance they'll make it "optional". But as with most programs that have the GRE as optional, you don't really have that much of an option unless you're a top candidate. 

Guess it depends, I applied to the MPA programs at NYU and Columbia last year without submitting GREs and still got into both. The price tags were outrageous though but my department has a full scholarship for Harvard 

Edited by columbia09

On 7/18/2020 at 11:05 PM, 2711383 said:

They made the SAT optional for undergraduates, so it’s looking to be a very real factor 

• 1 month later...

Hi Dear,

I am sharing latest update by harvard education  i hope it will help you , as   update  on their site due to limitations caused by COVID-19, the GRE is optional for applicants to the online Ed.M. for fall 2020 enrolment. All applicants for enrolment in the 2021-2022 academic year are required to take the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) General Test. Doctor of Education Leadership (Ed.L.D.) applicants ONLY may choose to submit GMAT scores in lieu of GRE scores.

5 hours ago, prpeped said:

Hi Dear,

I am sharing latest update by harvard education  i hope it will help you , as   update  on their site due to limitations caused by COVID-19, the GRE is optional for applicants to the online Ed.M. for fall 2020 enrolment. All applicants for enrolment in the 2021-2022 academic year are required to take the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) General Test. Doctor of Education Leadership (Ed.L.D.) applicants ONLY may choose to submit GMAT scores in lieu of GRE scores.

So even though with Covid 19, they still want people to take it with the exception of the online program. Is that new or did they always have that ? 

• 4 months later...

Heard from someone on the inside that they are going to keep the GRE optional for select programs from here on out (I just know the MC/MPA was definitely one considered). So if the test was the one thing keeping you from applying, you guys have a chance !

• 4 months later...

“The admissions committee has not yet made a final decision on the standardized test score policy for the 2021-22 admission cycle, but we anticipate returning to our normal policy that requires submission of a GRE or GMAT score no more than 5 years old.”

this is disappointing, but the first part of it not being 100%
finalized is interesting. I don’t think it’s far, despite Covid,
 one year had the opportunity to not submit GREs but not the others 

• 3 weeks later...

Harvard Kennedy School is offering a temporary suspension of the GRE or GMAT test score policy for all applicants to the Mid-Career MPA program, due to the unique challenges brought on by the coronavirus pandemic. For the 2020-21 and 2021-22 admission cycles, GRE or GMAT score submission will be optional for all applicants to the Mid-Career MPA program.

Applicants may, if they choose, submit GRE or GMAT scores for consideration in the application process, but test scores are not required.

• 4 months later...