POI on leave participating in the admission committee?

ZZZ20

Question

Hi, I am a ph.D. applicant for this fall.

I just found out that two of POIs are on leave for this academic year (fall 2020-fall 2021), so I was wondering if this would hurt my application... Is there any chance professors on leave do participate in the admission committee? 

7 answers to this question

If they are on leave its for a reason, looking through PhD application is probably not what they are going to spend their free time on. Plus they most likely would not be able to supervise your training since they are on leave. So unless you are flexible with your research topics, I would look at other schools.

1 hour ago, Number34 said:

If they are on leave its for a reason, looking through PhD application is probably not what they are going to spend their free time on. Plus they most likely would not be able to supervise your training since they are on leave. So unless you are flexible with your research topics, I would look at other schools.

Thanks for the comment.

Is it still unlikely that they will supervise me even when I'm applying for the 2021 cohort? it says they will return after fall 2021 as they're on leave for this academic year. 

Also, I was wondering if there's any chance that adcomm's decisions might be affected by those of faculties on leave... I'm so confused

It would depend on how you stucture your essays! if they can dectect that you are flexible to working with other people on other topics. It will not affect you negatively, but if they decide that you probably dont want to work with other people and the people you want to work with are on leave, then it would make sense, not to admit you since you would not be a good match for the school.

Thats at least how I understand it. Even if they return after fall 2021, it might take some time before they are ready to take someone. But keep in contact with them. If you can, ask them the same question, they will give you a better answer than I can since this is all speculation really.

20 hours ago, zooy said:

Thanks for the comment.

Is it still unlikely that they will supervise me even when I'm applying for the 2021 cohort? it says they will return after fall 2021 as they're on leave for this academic year. 

Also, I was wondering if there's any chance that adcomm's decisions might be affected by those of faculties on leave... I'm so confused

No if they return there is no difference.

My advisor participated in the search last year even though he was on leave (a year of skype/zoom haha). If they're taking students they will participate. Everything is on Zoom now anyway, so locatio wouldn't make a huge difference.

Matters more if they actually plan on taknig students..

The AdComm is a group of maybe three people in the Department. So, no, the fact that a professor is not in the adcomm does not mean that they are not going to supervise any students. 

Professors on leave would not participate.