Fulbright 2021-2022

MtrlHstryGrl

I hadn't seen this yet, so I figured that I would make one! I'm a second-year Master's student, studying European History, and I'm applying for an Open Research Award in the Czech Republic.

I just submitted my application to my school and I am freaking out about not having a chance. The Czech Republic has a relatively small application pool, but with Covid and finalists re-applying, I'm scared that I won't be a semi-finalist, much less a finalist. My profile is:

• Second year Master's student at a top producer (my school had the 4th highest number of Fulbrighters in 2019)
  • Czech language proficiency (and proficiency in Latin, German, Italian, and French) 
  • Project is about Czech nationalism & independence and medievalism
  • Personal statement explains personal (3rd generation Czech) and academic (have been connecting all of my academic reading/work to the Czech Republic) 
  • 3 affiliation letters (2 from Charles University, 1 for community engagement/volunteering in my field)
  • 2 journal publications, 3 blog & newsletter publications, 5 conference presentations 
  • Letters of rec from undergrad thesis advisor, grad school advisor/prof/I was her research assistant, & grad school prof that I've had for two classes
  • Studied abroad for a year, had an internship abroad, started a community service event abroad 
  • 3 scholarships, 3 grants, on Dean's List 3 times 
  • Volunteer experience, leadership in my sorority, currently have a peer editing position 
  • I've also had a lot of support from my school's Fulbright team, who have worked with me a ton on my essays/short answers, so I think those are pretty strong!
Edited by MtrlHstryGrl

I'm a recent graduate (May 2020) and am applying for an ETA to Kyrgyzstan. I'm not sure how this round is going to look with the previous two cohorts being granted the ability to compete without penalty, so I'm prepared to reapply again next cycle if need be!

My qualifications are:

• Gilman - Kyrgyzstan (ten weeks, 2018)
  • CLS - I received one this year for Russian. The actual travel/in-person stuff was cancelled, but we're finishing up the virtual program this week.
  • Tutoring experience with ESL learners of Russian-speaking backgrounds
  • Dean's list 5x, presented two research projects in May
  • Volunteer experience, held two leadership positions in my sorority
  • Currently working with the International Rescue Committee as an Americorps member

I'm mostly concerned about my lack of formal teaching experience, and the fact that education isn't the field I hope to go into. It's definitely been a bit challenging to spin ETA to suit my professional goals (entering Foreign Service), but I think we're getting there, albeit slowly.

• 5 months later...

I also received a rejection letter from Fulbright iie today. Was told my application was pretty strong by the campus committee, so definitely saddened to receive a rejection so quickly. Fingers crossed for Japan Foundation.

On 1/31/2021 at 3:56 PM, MtrlHstryGrl said:

I got to semifinalist status! Seems like it was a competitive year. 

Congrats! I also got semifinalist! Does anyone know if this is already like an honor, my friend said shes putting the fact that she got semi-finalist on her CV, whether she gets the award or not. 

• 2 months later...