San Francisco State SLP Grad Program

So I'm currently in the process of deciding what schools to apply to and I'm considering San Francisco State University, however, I don't see many posts about it on here and was wondering if anybody could give some insight about the program? I like that it has a bilingual program and how diverse the area is in terms of settings like schools, clinics, hospitals, etc. However, since I'm from OC I don't know if I would be able to handle moving there. Cost of living is extremely pricey and I just don't know how I would go about settling in to a different city with no connections, especially such a busy, populated one like SF. Has anybody gotten funding/stipends there? Does anybody have any advice about the living expenses/transportation there, as well as if they think their program is worth going into debt for (in my case, I'm a first gen student and I'm paying for school on my own & I'm terrified of going into a large amount debt). Has anybody gone to school there while living in a different city, if so how was the commute? Any info helps, thank you!

On 8/17/2020 at 3:51 PM, SLPA2021 said:

So I'm currently in the process of deciding what schools to apply to and I'm considering San Francisco State University, however, I don't see many posts about it on here and was wondering if anybody could give some insight about the program? I like that it has a bilingual program and how diverse the area is in terms of settings like schools, clinics, hospitals, etc. However, since I'm from OC I don't know if I would be able to handle moving there. Cost of living is extremely pricey and I just don't know how I would go about settling in to a different city with no connections, especially such a busy, populated one like SF. Has anybody gotten funding/stipends there? Does anybody have any advice about the living expenses/transportation there, as well as if they think their program is worth going into debt for (in my case, I'm a first gen student and I'm paying for school on my own & I'm terrified of going into a large amount debt). Has anybody gone to school there while living in a different city, if so how was the commute? Any info helps, thank you!

I can't add much but I'm from OC as well and SFSU is on my list as well. I've reached out to a couple of current/past student and gotten positive feedback on the program. Like you, I also have concerns regarding the high cost of living - just to get an idea, I've looked at rooms for rent as apartment rentals are way out of reach and room rentals look like they can be found in the $1200+ range per month - does not seem to go down much in the suburbs either. They may have some virtual info sessions this fall and hopefully we can learn more about the program. Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

I am from OC and went to SFSU for my undergrad. Yes, it is expensive to live up there but you can easily find roommates and shop around. The area around the school (Sunset, Ingleside) is pretty safe for the most part and filled with students. I lived in the Sunset and paid 1200 a month for my own bedroom in a large house with 3 other people, but people I know shared rooms for 600. Transportation wise, the SF muni is included in your student costs so you ride for free. I would definitely not use a car as your main form or transportation to school if you are concerned about money, because parking is outrageously expensive and adds up fast. Program wise, I have some complaints, mainly about lack of organization, but it could be better in the graduate program. I also spent time as a clinic aide in the on-site clinic. Definitely not high end stuff (the cameras for the supervisors barely worked) but they have all the materials you could need and knowledgeable supervisors and professors. Overall I loved my experience there. SF is a fun place to live, especially if you're coming from a place like OC.