Should I apply for Grad School in Data Science/ Information system with a Liberal Arts Background?

harper zhu

Question

Some statistics:

Undergrad: A current senior in top 50 public uni, double major on Biochemistry and International Relations

Overall GPA: 3.1

Biochem GPA: 2.49

International Relations: 3.74 with departmental honor

Research experience : 3, all related to international relations/political science

Relevant Prerequisite: Calculus 1-3(3.0-3.2), STATS: Element of the statistical methods( the title of the class), currently learning python on Coursera. Plan to take linear algebra and matrix in my last year.

Recently, I decided to pursue a master's degree in Data Science/Applied statistics/ Information systems. I am currently taking a stat class, which I found really interesting, which prompted me to switch my field of study. That being said, I did some researches and am now greatly discouraged and not sure if I should do this, especially after some programs said they will review the coursework in science to evaluate the applicant's potential (especially if the applicant do not have a degree in a similar field). I am now really worried about my Biochem grade being a drag. Is there any way to offset the negative impact of that? Provided that I do not have much space for taking more than 4 related mathematical/programming classes in my last year being a double major. I am also thinking of getting a master first in computational social science as a stepping stone and then dig more into the statistical program for the second master, which however will be time-consuming and a financial burden. Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you!

2 answers to this question

It is OK about biochem, I personally don't think it is a negative as long as you did something good (projects, grade, learnings), hand-on experience. I would understand it if you scored poor and that is why switching fields. If you scored good then all the way that it is not where you see pursuing career. Either way I believe it is fine. 

Why go for second master BTW in the statistical program? Stats are tool to be used in social science biological sciences or other domains. You can learn on the fly stats and apply when and where needed.