Contacting a research prof you work with to let them know you're applying to their lab for PhD?

standardegg3456

Hey all, I’m currently working in a lab as a Masters-level Research Assistant with a research professor that I would like to apply to be my advisor at the PhD level (programs are 1:1 student to advisor). The professor is very open about mentoring students through the PhD application process, but I feel like there are some dynamics to navigate given that the program is my top choice, but obviously they will know that I am applying to other programs as well, and will be a LOR writer too, on top of all of that.

I assume this is quite a common position to be in, or at least that people often apply to professors they’ve worked with in the past. I also think the prof likely already knows I am planning to apply, so it wouldn't be a total surprise when I let them know. But we still have a pretty formal relationship, so I want to be professional about this. Any advice on the best way to reach out to them? I'm thinking definitely an email, but what would I say? Something along the lines of "have loved working in your lab, wanted to let you know I'm applying, do you have any advice, ... ??"

Thanks in advance!

I would just basically say what you wrote here: "I'm ready to apply for PhD programs, and the time I have spent working in this lab have solidified my interest in X, and while I intend to apply to several programs, I feel that your research and mentorship style provide the best fit for my future training/goals." 

On 8/20/2020 at 4:47 PM, gentvenus said:

How about requesting for some face time with your professor to talk about this?

Yes, I was planning to do this! Do you think it would be better to explicitly let the professor know beforehand that I am very interested in applying to work with them, or do you think it will come up naturally in our conversation? I guess I don't want to make them feel like I'm just vying for a spot in their lab, because I do genuinely want their advisement in the process.

On 8/25/2020 at 10:30 PM, standardegg3456 said:

Yes, I was planning to do this! Do you think it would be better to explicitly let the professor know beforehand that I am very interested in applying to work with them, or do you think it will come up naturally in our conversation? I guess I don't want to make them feel like I'm just vying for a spot in their lab, because I do genuinely want their advisement in the process.

IMO it would be better if your let the professor know beforehand so that they know what you are trying to achieve.

Hoping your plans will come up "naturally" during the conversation will often result in unnatural behaviour on your part as you will always be thinking (at the back of your mind) whether now would be a good time to introduce your plans. The anxiety would almost be unbearable!