Priorities for 1st Year

shookienewman

Hi All - 

I'm entering my first year as a PhD student, and I'm curious how to set priorities for the year. I have a teaching assistantship, a research assistantship, am assisting on a paper with a friend at another institution, and am also trying to actively monitor my mental and physical wellbeing. I know all those things are important, but some are certainly more consequential than others.

For those with longer experience, what should typically take priority during a phd - TAing, courses, research, etc?

Thanks in advance!

I always advise people to ues the first year also to build supportive social networks, so get to know other people in your program you 'click' with, built raport with other professors, etc. 

I would also focus on the 'big picture'. It's tempting to start a ton of projects, but which ones will really make an impact? Which ones will also lead to potential fruitful follow up projects?

And read. This is like the best time to read.

One of the things you learn during a PhD is to juggle multiple priorities at the same time. For example, many of us were finishing the dissertation while applying for jobs, both equally important because it was pointless to finish without a job and it was pointless to get a job if you didn't finish. 

Also, at different stages you will have different priorities. Right now, your priority is you learning new ways to take care of yourself, as @PokePsych mentioned. It's your time to taste the waters, see how the department works, what support networks exists at the university, etc. 

I think it is very healthy to have interests outside of your department or your institution, but do not "sacrifice" being on track with requirements. 

Finally, and this is very important, your priorities should help you move out from UG/MA st mentality into that of a PhD student who carries themselves professionally and treats others as peers. 

Self-care is your largest priority in first year.  Eating well balanced meals, exercising, sleeping, finding healthy ways to relax, and establishing a support system that relates to whatever your circumstances are (e.g., grad student, marginalized, away from home) are all things to get in order.  Yes everything else is important, but you can't grow in any of those areas if you're falling apart.  In terms of your school priorities I would say organization and time management should be things that you establish better habits for now.  Then when considering TAing, courses, or research I would say that is going to depend on your career goals and your own strengths/weaknesses.  If you're taking courses on content that takes longer for you to grasp and that content is foundational then that is where more of your energy will need to go.  If courses are easier and your research skills are weaker then it might be better to put more time in on research.