Changing programs?

unfortunate ith

Hi everyone, I'm facing a dilemma I really wish I weren't, and I need some input. I began a 3-year, fully-funded MFA program this fall (I'd rather not say where, just in case). Just a few weeks in, I have the sinking feeling that it's not a great fit. The problem is a particular professor, one of only two in the program, who is the senior professor with a lot of leverage. Within the program, he's known for being pretty casually racist (which I've seen firsthand now) and is genuinely not good at teaching. He teaches as if we're an Intro to Creative Writing class, and I genuinely can't imagine how he got the position he has today. The 3rd-years share this sentiment, and generally just suggest avoiding the guy when possible. (Yup I should've talked to the other students more deeply beforehand. Lessons learned.)

Now, I'm getting an MFA exclusively to study my craft intensely and learn as much as I can in the time allotted. At this program, I feel I'm squandering half of that opportunity by studying under someone who seems to have little teaching to offer. So I'm starting to seriously consider reapplying to other programs, and I'd like to hear thoughts on this from the good folks here. Am I overreacting? Is starting over elsewhere an acceptable course of action? Have you had a similar experience?

Thanks in advance for any advice. This sucks lol

I don't think you're overreacting. Mathematically speaking, 50% of the professors in your program are racist and bad at teaching. That's a huge issue. 

Of course, switching programs is a big decision. You managed to get funded for a 3 year program, and especially these days there's no guarantee you'll get that opportunity twice. With that in mind, here are a couple things to consider:

- How do you feel about your cohort? The relationships you build with your classmates can be just as valuable and creatively informative as those you build with professors. If you feel like you're making strong connections with other students, that may balance out this awful situation.

- Has anyone tried to take action against this guy? I'd investigate institutional options to address this problem. If your university has a grad student association, I might reach out to them and see if they can offer advice/point you to someone who can. I know that's scary/potentially time-consuming, but so is switching programs.

2 hours ago, feralgrad said:

- How do you feel about your cohort? The relationships you build with your classmates can be just as valuable and creatively informative as those you build with professors. If you feel like you're making strong connections with other students, that may balance out this awful situation.

- Has anyone tried to take action against this guy? I'd investigate institutional options to address this problem. If your university has a grad student association, I might reach out to them and see if they can offer advice/point you to someone who can. I know that's scary/potentially time-consuming, but so is switching programs.

Hey thanks a bunch for your reply, it's really helpful!

My cohort is definitely something I've been thinking about, because while there are a couple mediocre "Guy in your MFA" types, the rest are really cool and talented. Obviously COVID makes it harder to get a sense of how well I'll be able to connect with them long-term, but I do plan on prioritizing those connections as the semester progresses, and reevaluating my place here later on based on where that goes.

As far as action against the guy--from what I understand, the department's gotten numerous complaints over the years, and the most they've done is stern reprimands about how he can and can't treat his students. Plenty of students wish he would retire, but he's nowhere close to that. The 3rd-years recommended taking notes of every shitty thing he does in class and keeping them together as a "just in case" sort of thing, but the thought of having such an adversarial relationship with half the program sounds absolutely exhausting and depressing.

Right now I'm tossing around the idea of applying elsewhere without any expectation of getting an offer and just letting the dice decide my future. My thinking is along the lines of: If this is what I plan to make my life's work, I'd rather not settle if I don't have to.

Edited by unfortunate ith

1 hour ago, Warelin said:

I think it's also important to consider that you'll need to supply transcripts from your current institution. It is also likely that you'll need to provide a current letter of recommendation from your current institution to the colleges you send an application to.

That makes sense. I've heard people argue back and forth about whether or not to mention the fact that they're transferring in their SoP, with some suggesting it can make other programs suspicious of the applicant's temperament and more likely to reject them. But it seems to me that, if I send a transcript from my current program but omit any mention of it from my SoP, that would come across as more questionable. Any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2020 at 12:41 PM, unfortunate ith said:

That makes sense. I've heard people argue back and forth about whether or not to mention the fact that they're transferring in their SoP, with some suggesting it can make other programs suspicious of the applicant's temperament and more likely to reject them. But it seems to me that, if I send a transcript from my current program but omit any mention of it from my SoP, that would come across as more questionable. Any thoughts?

First I'm so sorry you're experiencing this. It's definitely a more than valid consideration. If you're eyeing reapplying the Fall 2021 cycle, I wouldn't recommend sending in grades--mostly because they may not even be ready by the time you need to submit the application. If you can get away with sending in apps without referencing the current program you're in, I'd probably go in that direction, but admittedly that's not a situation I've been in. Not sure if you're plugged into this year's MFA Draft, but it may be worth tip toeing in there and asking about it. I'm pretty sure one of the mods in that group successfully switched programs. 

25 minutes ago, Dickensliketheauthor said:

If you can get away with sending in apps without referencing the current program you're in, I'd probably go in that direction, but admittedly that's not a situation I've been in.

Most, if not all, programs expect you to send transcripts from any institutions you've attended. Refusal to disclose is often seen as dishonesty and a reason and a reason to rescind admission. If any stipends were given, this information is even easier to obtain. Academia is a small circle so trust is even more important.

Seconding Warelin. I would recommend addressing it in your SOP and giving a solid reason that doesn't denigrate your current institution. Even though it sounds like your program may deserve it, speaking ill of it will look unprofessional to adcoms. You could say something about how the faculty's aesthetics don't match with yours, or how you've realized you want a program that offers X opportunity or prepares you for X career.

I disagree with @feralgrad's point about mentioning the faculty's aesthetics not matching yours. The comment could prompt questions that don't serve you well. "How does @unfortunate ith know the faculty after less than one semester?" "Is @unfortunate ith actually talking trash about ...?"

Three years is a long time to be in a situation that's not all one wants. However, before making a change, I recommend that you ask yourself if changing programs will absolutely give you the relief you want? How can you make sure that you're not going to go from working with one asshat to working with many asshats? 

IRT the professor's casual racism, I am going to relay a comment I received from a mentor when I mentioned someone's objectionable views of racial difference. He said, "Everyone's a racist. Saying someone's a racist is like saying the air has oxygen." It's an observation I hold close when I think about the impact of racism and race relations on my everyday life, and the state of America.

On 9/18/2020 at 1:36 PM, Sigaba said:

I disagree with @feralgrad's point about mentioning the faculty's aesthetics not matching yours. The comment could prompt questions that don't serve you well. "How does @unfortunate ith know the faculty after less than one semester?" "Is @unfortunate ith actually talking trash about ...?"

I don't think it will look like OP is trash-talking. I think it will look like they didn't do their research when applying -- which wouldn't reflect on them too favorably, I'll admit. But if they demonstrate in their SOP that they've done proper research for their latest application, they can mitigate that damage.

Hey, just want to weigh in here: please don't limit yourself to a situation that might damage you for years to come.

I think Sigaba is definitely right that racism is everywhere, but that doesn't mean you should willingly subject yourself to it; report it first, then try to get out. And while feral grad makes good points about being a good person, unfortunately we as applicants don't get the benefit of the doubt. So with that in mind, I would encourage you to consider applying just as you had last year--as though you have not yet made it into a program. Use your same references, if you can. And use the knowledge you've already gained to better everything. 

It might be sacrilegious to say all this round here, as it might take a spot from someone else, but I don't know what else to say. 

It's an expensive and time consuming "dice roll," as you put it. Will there be any way that the school can go after you for those funds if you leave? Is 'casual racism' the kind of veneer of deeper shit that you can slide past? Was this all just a dark moment of anguish and anxiety? I don't know. I think only you can decide what's right for you. Hope things get better either way. Good luck.

(Also, if there's a way to DM on this site, I would definitely like to know where not to apply next year, please and thanks)

8 hours ago, Graceful Entropy said:

So with that in mind, I would encourage you to consider applying just as you had last year--as though you have not yet made it into a program.

As Warelin pointed out, this may be considered dishonest. Remember that applications usually ask for info/transcripts from /all/ universities you've attended. Failure to provide this will likely be considered a violation of the terms of the application, and schools may rescind offers as a result.

So in short OP, please don't do this.

Fair enough. I may be speaking out of my wheelhouse in this. Though perhaps we all are to some degree. Maybe OP could reach out to someone in their program, higher up, or perhaps at their undergrad program--a trusted professor, etc.--could give better perspective, and better details about expectations and consequences of such a move. 

On 9/20/2020 at 5:42 PM, feralgrad said:

I don't think it will look like OP is trash-talking. I think it will look like they didn't do their research when applying -- which wouldn't reflect on them too favorably, I'll admit. But if they demonstrate in their SOP that they've done proper research for their latest application, they can mitigate that damage.

In my experience, an academic department is a collection of interconnected and over lapping black boxes, One of the most innermost, inaccessible boxes is how ineffective some professors are when it comes to teaching and mentoring graduate students. For me, it was only after I'd figured things out for myself that the professors I knew best would speak their minds. My guess is that this kind of vital information is held close because professional sensibilities restrict what one can say about colleagues. A part of me gets it -- I am the type of person who typically gets along well with those professors whom graduate students dislike for being too demanding. The other part of me (the one working in the private sector) is like Luke Skywalker, cradling his maimed arm, crying out to Ben Kenobi, Why didn't you tell me?

My concern is that by mentioning a department's aesthetic, readers may conclude that an applicant will be the type of student who airs a department's dirty laundry (of which there's probably always plenty), and say "We'll pass on this person..."

On 9/25/2020 at 12:09 PM, Sigaba said:

My concern is that by mentioning a department's aesthetic, readers may conclude that an applicant will be the type of student who airs a department's dirty laundry

You may be right about that. I tend to take statements at face value; if someone told me they left their department for aesthetic reasons, I would assume that it was simply a poor creative match (i.e. that the faculty didn't have experience with the topics/genre they work in). That may not be the way adcoms view it.

That said, I stand by my assertion that OP should address their transfer status in the application.

As for whether transferring is worth it in the first place when racism is everywhere... I don't think any of us can say. Even if racism is rampant in academia, some departments are more inclusive than others. Not to mention that since there are only two professors, OP will most likely be interacting with this professor every single semester for three years. Frankly, if there were a couple more faculty in the program, I would have likely given different advice.