UMichigan Statement of Purpose and Personal Statement

Is anyone else also applying for PhD programs at UMichigan this year? Or has past experience with the applications?

I am preparing my application but feeling stuck with distinguishing between Statement of Purpose and Personal Statement, making each one stand out and not sound repetitive.

Any suggestions on how to structure these two pieces and what to cover in each one?

Or if someone is willing to share theirs, I would really appreciate it.

If you are applying this year and would like someone to proofread, I would be happy to help. I will probably be reaching out to this community for review and feedback of my own documents so I am happy to help other applicants in any way I can.

All the best everyone!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2020 at 9:37 AM, tittoo_m said:

Is anyone else also applying for PhD programs at UMichigan this year? Or has past experience with the applications?

I am preparing my application but feeling stuck with distinguishing between Statement of Purpose and Personal Statement, making each one stand out and not sound repetitive.

Any suggestions on how to structure these two pieces and what to cover in each one?

Or if someone is willing to share theirs, I would really appreciate it.

If you are applying this year and would like someone to proofread, I would be happy to help. I will probably be reaching out to this community for review and feedback of my own documents so I am happy to help other applicants in any way I can.

All the best everyone!

Also applying this year to a Ph.D. program at UMich and I'm having the exact same struggle!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

I am a Master's student at UMich. When I was applying, my personal statement was so much more different than my statement of purpose.

My SOP focused on previous research I've done and my experience in the field I'm applying for. It's closely related to my CV but with more content to it. Whereas my PS was something along the lines of, "I am passionate about science and I want to be a scientist" kind-of tone. I think the prompt for the PS does a good job at distinguishing the two - "This [personal statement] is not an Academic Statement of Purpose, but a discussion of the personal journey that has led to your decision to seek a graduate degree."

Hope that helps!