Girls- What Will You Be Carrying?

matcha

65 members have voted

1. 1. What is your pack of choice?

Hello ladies! What are you going to use to carry all your stuff around? A lot of the other polls have been showing mainly men-directed gear. I was wondering what the female side of the world is buying for this adventure.

From my perspective, a tote is the most fashionable, but the most painful on the shoulder. A messenger bag cuts across the chest, which can be uncomfortable for some of the larger girls. And a backpack feels a little 'elementary' to me.

So what are you using?

Hello ladies! What are you going to use to carry all your stuff around? A lot of the other polls have been showing mainly men-directed gear. I was wondering what the female side of the world is buying for this adventure.

From my perspective, a tote is the most fashionable, but the most painful on the shoulder. A messenger bag cuts across the chest, which can be uncomfortable for some of the larger girls. And a backpack feels a little 'elementary' to me.

So what are you using?

A tote.

I don't need to think much about practicality next year. My building will be very central on campus, less than a 5 minute walk from 4 places to eat and a gym, and with a bus stop right in front. Two of my classes will be there; the third will be less than a 5 minute walk away. The four main lecture halls where I might see a guest speaker on campus are all with 5 minutes, too. The farthest I might ever walk would be 10 minutes, to go to the cinema in the evening.

After being at the beck and call of students for 3 years and having two offices and walking over 90 minutes a day while I'm at WORK, I'm SOOOOOO excited to cut back on the walking and wear pretty shoes with heels and carry impractical bags. biggrin.gif

I'll alternate between a tote and a messenger bag depending on how much I have to carry. I carry the messenger bag on one shoulder to avoid the chest issue.

I haven't used a bookbag since elementary school and I really have no desire to start again.

Tote. Actually backpacks never fit properly. I'm too small for most of the ones that would carry enough things. I have a very small computer - 10'' - so I don't need to take much else besides a small notepad. The totes are better for a small person and I can reach whatever I need!

i'll be the odd person out and say that I think I will be using a backpack for most of the time. Maybe for the days i don't need to carry as much stuff I will use my tote. I think my backpack is convenient and comfortable and although not the most stylish thing, works very well for me. :lol:

I see lots of totes on campus, but those are mainly used by friends who have offices in the building or buildings nearby. My assistantship is technically off campus (downtown) and I tried the messenger bag the first few weeks of school last fall. My shoulders and neck were killing me. So, I opted for a backpack. I have a High Sierra that I absolutely love and live out of. When I'm not in class, I have a small Sherpani crossbody bag for my keys and few small items.

Backpack for me. I am always hauling loads of books so for me the health of my back has to take precedence. I have a smallish North Face that fits really well and distributes weight to make carrying things more comfortable. I also get groceries on foot so I use it for that too.

if i take: 1 notebook, 1 book-book (not a textbook), my laptop, then i use a tote.

if i'm taking more books, my laptop AC cord, a packed lunch, or gym clothes, then i take a backpack.

if you're looking to buy, i'd recommend getting something made of leather and metal hardware. you'd be surprised how easily you can destroy a cute vinyl tote with a plastic zipper.

I absolutely agree! I started the year too proud to wear a backpack, until I got wicked lower back pain from hauling around books in a tote. I got a great Mountain Equipment Co-Op bag. Way better for my health, and somehow, people still recognized that I was a grown up. ;)

I did just pick up a big, cool shoulder bag. Like a portfolio bag, maybe? I use it when I'm not carrying much, and I think I'll use it when I teach next year.

I will start with a messenger bag and then move to tote/backpack depending on the amount of books I need to carry with me. Some students told me that it's possible to reserve a carrel in the library, so I'll try that. It would be great for studying and having a place to leave my stuff.

Just depends on book load. Lots of books plus netbook = backpack. Few books/folders plus netbook = tote. I'm also assuming I won't end up buying a laptop, but if I do I guess it'll be backpack all the time.

Even now I'm often slinging around 2-3 bags. I also always keep my gym clothes in a small nylon bag.

if you're looking to buy, i'd recommend getting something made of leather and metal hardware. you'd be surprised how easily you can destroy a cute vinyl tote with a plastic zipper.

I'm always hunting for messenger bags made of leather and canvas with good metal hardware. I bought a Fossil bag two years ago that has held up admirably, and it looks very well-loved. I actually use it as my daily knockaround bag as well, so it sees a lot of use. I've been using messenger bags for years, so I don't have any neck or shoulder pain to speak of, although my bone structure is probably altered from the years of one-shouldering it.

I *have* trained myself to not overload it with books, however. If I know that I'm bringing extra books onto campus, I'll carry a cute reinforced canvas tote to spare the seams on my nicer bag.

A backpack. And if anyone has a problem with it I will say that I am an engineer and therefore allowed to wear a sweatshirt, jeans, a pony-tail, glasses, and a backpack every day and do it unapologetically. I can look good on weekends, and I'm too old to care about impressing people with my looks on normal days. (during my masters program people that I lived with wouldn't recognize me out on weekends when I wore makeup/real clothes because my boyfriend was in town, haha)

I like cross-body messenger bags built like luggage. I have a long bus / train commute and I walk everywhere else, so I need something comfortable. If you find the right messenger bag (usually by trying them on), sturdy with a good strap and short handles for awkward moments, and don't overload it, it won't hurt you -- and you won't end up with one shoulder-muscle bigger than the other from carrying a one-shoulder bag! (My poor, puny neglected right muscle....) I also realized one-shoulder bags were slowly stretching out the left side of each of my thin cotton shirts, between the collar and the sleeve seam. So my shirts started to look lopsided! (And me, too.)

I have a very nice blue bag now, with gold hardware and a narrow adjustable strap that's soft and causes me no trouble in the chest area. :) Looks and feels good.

Generally, bags never fit as much stuff as I want them to. After years of abusing bags by hauling around way too much -- having an exhausting 20 pounds worth of stuff and busting each bag I get in about a semester or two -- I'm making an effort to pack more conservatively (and distribute weight better). Most of the time, it means I have to read more at home to carry fewer books. :( But it saves my back and my bag.

Edited by Jae B.

For those who are using backpacks especially, does anyone have any good brands they use? I would want something "adultish" and durable.

For my side, I have a Fossil leather messenger bag and I recommend it. They are durable and look really nice.

@matcha I have always use Northface backpacks as I feel like they offered enough support and padding when I have to carry a lot of books. When I was in hs, I used to use jansport (the ones you buy at costco) but they were hard on my back and didn't have enough support. My northface is a bit pricey. I think they range from $70 to $150. I know they also have one with a separate compartment for a laptop. and I use mine everywhere I go including to the gym and travel.

After visiting Cornell, I saw the ladies either had a small tote (maybe only one class that day?) or a backpack. After walking around with a bunch of books and signing a lease on a place that requires a bit of walking, I am definitely getting a backpack.

Now which one....?