Fall 2021 NYU American Studies Ph.D.

xmflti

Hi All,

I'm planning to submit my application for the American Studies Ph.D. program at NYU this December (for Fall 2021 semester start) and was wondering if anyone had insights to the program and/or tips for the application. 

I attended NYU for both my undergrad and Masters and worked at a contemporary art museum in fundraising for two years before deciding to leave earlier this month to focus on Ph.D applications while also looking for other development positions in the nonprofit sector. My research interest lies in the intersection of art, social justice, and philanthropy -- which is a continuation from my Masters thesis. 

I'm worried as I've been reading how competitive it is to get into the American Studies program at NYU. I was also a bit lost if I have to mention specific research by certain professors in the program that I find particularly interesting and also if I had to list names of professors I'd like to work with in the Statement of Academic Purpose. I know that some programs want you list potential advisors, but it seemed like NYU is more interested in hearing about the kind of work I'd like to do/career goals/and why NYU (which yes, can be because of a certain professor but it doesn't seem to be too concerned about that). Also, should I be reaching out to the professors or is that not really necessary? 

I'd greatly appreciate any kind of feedback/comments, thank you!!