Emails to POIs

drunkenduck

Hey Everybody,

I was just curious as to what kind of responses you guys have been getting to introductory emails to POIs. I've emailed 12 so far and have gotten a few "thanks for emailing, I look forward to your application," two saying they weren't taking new students next year, and about 6 that haven't responded yet. Have you been getting similar results?

What are you going to do about POIs who never respond: apply anyway, don't apply, or email again?

In psychology (my background), these emails are a very important part of the application process. Is the same true for Public Health?

I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts!

-C

That's such a good question. I wonder, given this current situation we're in, what will happen. I haven't even started. I've been putting it off because of alllllll the anxiety. Plus, when I'm done working all day at my computer I don't want to switch computers and do more work. Though, I really have to at this point! Are you asking if they're taking on new students or asking general questions? 

1 hour ago, ♀HealthMatters said:

Are you asking if they're taking on new students or asking general questions? 

Thanks for replying! I've been very briefly introducing myself, stating my research interests, commenting on one of their articles (so they know it isn't just a form email), and asking if they're taking new students next year. 

I'm applying a second time around. The first time around- I probably emailed like 20 people lol got responses from maybeeee half of them? Talked to probably about 6-7. Anecdotally, I was admitted to schools where I didn't speak to any POIs, and rejected from schools where I had great convos with several. I think in public health its not as important as other programs. Largely it was important to me to talk to a PI if there was a program with only ONE person I'd want to work with. Otherwise, mostly it was a helpful informational meeting for the most part.

So far I've emailed one person this time around, no response yet :)

6 hours ago, ASA15 said:

I'm applying a second time around. The first time around- I probably emailed like 20 people lol got responses from maybeeee half of them? Talked to probably about 6-7. Anecdotally, I was admitted to schools where I didn't speak to any POIs, and rejected from schools where I had great convos with several. I think in public health its not as important as other programs. Largely it was important to me to talk to a PI if there was a program with only ONE person I'd want to work with. Otherwise, mostly it was a helpful informational meeting for the most part.

So far I've emailed one person this time around, no response yet :)

Thank you for sharing your experience, that was very helpful!