International Relations Graduate Admissions and Masters Programs - UChicago CIR

Hawkins1879

Hello!

I am a current undergraduate at a Big10 midwest school studying Political Science with a concentration in International Relations, with minors in History and German Commercial Studies. I am slightly different of an applicant in that I am currently a sophomore but plan on graduating this upcoming May (i.e. graduating in four semesters) - I had a lot of AP credit and took full courseloads.

Could anyone chance me for IR masters and grad program admissions? I am specifically highly interested in UChicago's CIR program as it is more academic in nature and I thought that it would be a great addition and complement to my situation, building off of my current knowledge of International Relations.

I have good grades (3.95 GPA) but I have not taken the GRE since I am mainly focused on school and graduating. If anyone could give me any tips and advice that would be such a huge help! Or if anyone knows other masters programs that may sound of interest that I should apply to please let me know!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey! Great to see you are looking at CIR! I am applying to PhD programs this cycle but I am also applying to CIR because PhD admissions are a total crap-shoot and its a great program. One of the profs I do work with is a CIR alumnus and he thought I'd be a strong candidate for significant funding with my 3.7 GPA, a thesis, and strong LORs. My point being, I'm not sure what a strong CIR candidate looks like but thats my profile and he thinks its good. Make of that what you will. 

Your 3.95 is great, but I think you'll be facing a bit of an uphill battle. This is total conjecture, but only a year and a half of college classes just isnt much for an adcomm to judge you off of. I may be totally wrong though. GRE is weird this year, but it might be helpful for you to take it to provide the committee with a standardized measure of performance. Research experience would probably help, especially since CIR is a pre-doctoral program, but they probably give more leeway since its an MA program. Most importantly, what are your LORs like? In the last year and half, have you made strong connections with any profs?

For some other programs: I'd look into Columbia and LSE's 1-year MSc International Relations (Research). I'm not super familiar with MA programs, but those are decent options. Good luck this year!

Hey, 

Just wanted to jump in and caution against attending an academic oriented MA degree program that you have to pay for. If you intend to go into academia and attend a PhD program, an academic oriented MA program will not set you significantly apart from your classmates but it will saddle you with a mountain of debt. Debt is the one thing that you do not want when attending a long PhD program or starting off a career in academia (The pay is is not that great even if you can even get a job)

For professional MA programs, I suggest you head on over to the Government Affairs page on this site, they'll be better assisted to answer your questions. But a word of warning, in a climate like this, think long and hard about taking on significant debt. 

Hi Friend, 

Congrats on finishing university so quickly!  I applied, and was admitted to CIR several times, but ultimately chose to pursue different professional and academic opportunities in a another program.  I think it is a strong program, although, as I'm sure you've seen, others on this forum think differently.  I think, given that its only one year, you may not get what you need out of it if the your classes are entirely online (like strong LORs and good thesis advisement).  Keep this in mind.    

I think you should apply to CIR.  But, mind Dwar's comment and be cautious about debt.  If you are admitted to CIR, ask for more money and try to get as much out of them as possible.  If the program is going to put you in a significant amount of debt, I'd apply again the next year, maybe with a strong GRE score.  

One other thing to consider here: I'm not sure what your undergrad situation is like.  Depending on how much you're paying for undergrad, and how strong your program/professors are, I think it might be worthwhile to stay around another year in your program and write a terrific thesis, work as an RA, get closer to professors, take methods classes, etc.  I think finishing in three years is much more common and PhD adcoms (and CIR) would be more comfortable with that.  You mention that you're from a big 10 midwest program.  If you have great LORs, a strong GRE, a thesis, methods classes, and research experience, I'd say you'd be a in a very strong position to do well in PhD admissions.  Consider sticking around for another year, getting those things, and then applying straight into PhD programs.  If your department is toxic or full of professors that checked out 20 years ago, finish up in two years.  But, if there's more you can get out if it, I'd think about sticking around.