Reasoning for choosing a specific program

anderson_sc

Question

Hi all,

Looking for feedback on why graduate students, you specifically, chose the programs you did for any of the following programs: CSDS/SLP, Audiology, PT, OT, MSW, or Counseling. Could it be because of financials, locations, scholarship/grants, faculty, etc. Any information would help and please feel free to expand from the examples given previously.

1 answer to this question

I chose the SLP route because it was the only job I’d ever seen and had a passion for. When I saw my first SLP and what they did, I just knew it was right for me. I also chose it because the pay is good. It might not be as high as some of the other professions listed but considering I was making like 20k a year I’m happy. Lol also I really liked audiology but it’s 4years sooooo I dropped that dream after I googled it. I love that as an SLP I could work with different populations whenever I wanted and it’s such a broad field. I honestly don’t think there’s many scholarship opportunities. I did some Google searches and found a few but they didn’t pertained to me or they were already over. I need to start looking again. Also I kind of liked that there’s a need for more diversity in speech therapy and they are actively looking for it. It shows they are being more inclusive and notice the need for diversity to serve the population as a whole. In my courses they also stress diversity. My friend is becoming an OT and I considered it because there’s always a need for more but it’s too much biology and the human body for me. If you like biology and physiology then those are good fields. I’d say if you’re stuck between fields try and shadow someone. Unfortunately in the time of covid I know it’s hard. Also, all the schools I found the faculty has been really nice. It’s probably not that way for everyone but I’ve been lucky to talk to some really nice people.