Profile Eval Request

jjiffy

I am hoping to specialize in international relations with a focus on international security. 

Undergrad GPA: 3.7. Major in International Affairs and minor in History. Private school, around #50-60, but top 10 in IR. 

GRE: 168V/160Q/5.5AWA (My first attempt was 166/159/4.5)

LORs: Three strong letters. One is from my thesis advisor who is a major senior professor in the field. The second is from a pretty well known professor in security studies who I had in the past and is teaching my grad-level independent study. My last letter is from the director of my fellowship program who I know really well and has taught me for three semesters. 

Writing Sample: I'm planning to use a final paper I wrote for a research seminar at the end of Junior year. I'm still working on my thesis so its not ready, and my research seminar paper is more aligned with my grad school interests anyway. I explain my shift in research interests in my SOP so it makes a little more sense. 

Statement of Purpose: I think it is very strong. I've had multiple professors and peers look over it and have received good responses.

Research Experience: Two year research program/fellowship. Junior/Senior level research seminar (paper currently under review, was supposed to present at a conference at my school but was cancelled due to COVID). Awarded Undergrad Research Award at my institution. 

Schools (PhD): Stanford, UChicago, MIT, Berkeley, UCSD, UCLA, UW Madison, Ohio State, Duke, Georgetown, Cornell. I think the first couple are more of long shots but I'm expecting it to be rough this year for every school. Thought's on if they are in reach?

Without actually seeing your materials, I would say that you appear to have strong qualifications.  Yes, there are a lot of very competitive schools on your list.  You may be able to find out more about their acceptance practices, such as how many applications they receive and how many offers they give each year.  Some programs even post average GRE scores of applicants and those who are given offers.  Perhaps you can find and use that information to make yourself a spreadsheet to compare the feasibility of getting an offer from each of your preferred programs. (BTW, Chicago is a GREAT place to get a graduate education!  There are a lot of great schools here and a lot of opportunity to grow your research experience.)

Hope this helps.

On 10/28/2020 at 3:27 PM, jjiffy said:

I am hoping to specialize in international relations with a focus on international security. 

Undergrad GPA: 3.7. Major in International Affairs and minor in History. Private school, around #50-60, but top 10 in IR. 

GRE: 168V/160Q/5.5AWA (My first attempt was 166/159/4.5)

LORs: Three strong letters. One is from my thesis advisor who is a major senior professor in the field. The second is from a pretty well known professor in security studies who I had in the past and is teaching my grad-level independent study. My last letter is from the director of my fellowship program who I know really well and has taught me for three semesters. 

Writing Sample: I'm planning to use a final paper I wrote for a research seminar at the end of Junior year. I'm still working on my thesis so its not ready, and my research seminar paper is more aligned with my grad school interests anyway. I explain my shift in research interests in my SOP so it makes a little more sense. 

Statement of Purpose: I think it is very strong. I've had multiple professors and peers look over it and have received good responses.

Research Experience: Two year research program/fellowship. Junior/Senior level research seminar (paper currently under review, was supposed to present at a conference at my school but was cancelled due to COVID). Awarded Undergrad Research Award at my institution. 

Schools (PhD): Stanford, UChicago, MIT, Berkeley, UCSD, UCLA, UW Madison, Ohio State, Duke, Georgetown, Cornell. I think the first couple are more of long shots but I'm expecting it to be rough this year for every school. Thought's on if they are in reach?

Looks good.
Fit is a key.