How competitive/desirable is Oxford's MSt in Practical Ethics?

polemicist

Here's the main page for the course.

I'm particularly curious if this is a viable alternative to getting an MA for those interested in going onto a philosophy PhD and academia (and who have primary interests in applied ethical topics). So by "competitive", I mean for PhD admissions prospects after completing the course. But I'm also curious if anyone has information about the relative competitiveness of admissions to the MSt program.

Edited by polemicist

MSt's are definitely less competitive to get into than the BPhil -- if you check out the sidebar on that webpage, you'll see that 23/86 applicants were admitted entry (that's an acceptance rate of about 27%, compared to around 8% for the BPhil, and much less for US graduate programs). Any degree from Oxford is top-notch, so I don't think it would be a bad alternative at all. The issue for internationals is always, always funding -- Oxford's graduate programs can be quite expensive unless you're independently wealthy or have managed to secure some sort of funding. Hope this helps!

• 2 months later...

I applied to this program this cycle - the part time/distance aspect would actually allow me to continue studying while staying in my career and finishing off my prior student debts - it seems that the philosophy department is incredibly dedicated to helping students progress in their careers... don't have much else to contribute to this discussion beyond that I am just anxiously awaiting decisions. Good luck with your applications!

• 4 weeks later...

I am a DPhil offer holder. There is no breakout scheduled for the MSt Practical Ethics during the open day session, which implies that offers will not go out before the open day. Remember, this programme is offered in conjunction with the Department for Continuing Studies so it's not wholly owned by philosophy.  Here is the relevant text from the pdf:

Course-specific Information Sessions

DPhil: Dr Luca Castagnoli, Director for Graduate Studies (remain on main link)
BPhil: Dr Andreas Mogensen and Prof Volker Halbach, Course Coordinators (join this session here)
MSt in Ancient Philosophy: Prof Dominic Scott, Course Coordinator (join this session here)
MSt in Philosophy of Physics: Dr Adam Caulton, Course Coordinator (join this session here)

--

I did some digging for you guys because I know how it feels to be waiting in limbo and while I couldn't get anything solid, so take this with a huge grain of salt, the expectation is offers will go out early - mid April. In 2019 acceptances came out (at least for the person I spoke with) on April 4th. 

Edited by musicdegree4me

2 hours ago, Sunflower71 said:

Hi another applicant here! The philosophy graduate open day is this Wednesday 17th (for offer holders). So, we must be finding out today or tomorrow in order to be able to attend. Fingers crossed for everyone ?

This is what I was hoping... but @musicdegree4me seems to provide some evidence against that. Thank you for sharing that info so we can have some semblance of productivity for the next 2-3 weeks... not the news I was hoping for today to say the least.

3 hours ago, musicdegree4me said:

I am a DPhil offer holder. There is no breakout scheduled for the MSt Practical Ethics during the open day session, which implies that offers will not go out before the open day. Remember, this programme is offered in conjunction with the Department for Continuing Studies so it's not wholly owned by philosophy.  Here is the relevant text from the pdf:

Course-specific Information Sessions

DPhil: Dr Luca Castagnoli, Director for Graduate Studies (remain on main link)
BPhil: Dr Andreas Mogensen and Prof Volker Halbach, Course Coordinators (join this session here)
MSt in Ancient Philosophy: Prof Dominic Scott, Course Coordinator (join this session here)
MSt in Philosophy of Physics: Dr Adam Caulton, Course Coordinator (join this session here)

--

I did some digging for you guys because I know how it feels to be waiting in limbo and while I couldn't get anything solid, so take this with a huge grain of salt, the expectation is offers will go out early - mid April. In 2019 acceptances came out (at least for the person I spoke with) on April 4th. 

Thank you so much for looking into this! 

28 minutes ago, Sunflower71 said:

Thank you so much for looking into this! 

I know how it feels to be anxiously waiting day after day friend. It’s very helpful to have at least some reasonable expectation around timing, though of course there’s never any certainty. 

Good Luck!

Edited by musicdegree4me

3 minutes ago, SunnySideUp93 said:

Hi everyone! I just got my offer! All the best to everyone else waiting. Hope you hear positive news ASAP ?

Congrats. Haven’t heard anything yet ? trying to be hopeful but accepting of what might be to come. 
Very very happy for you though!!!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 3/12/2021 at 5:20 AM, musicdegree4me said:

I know this programme very well. Happy to answer any questions privately. 

Hi there! Could I still send you a PM?
Or is there anyone else on this thread who's in the program and doesn't mind answering some questions? That would be really cool!

Thanks in advance :)

• 4 months later...

Hey guys!

I'm applying to MSt in Practical Ethics for the 2023-24 enrollment, so I want to know if I have some chance to get in. Here's my info:

2 majors: Economics and Mathematics at Brigham Young University (Also satisfy graduation requirements for BA in Philosophy)

3 minors: Logic; Philosophy; Theoretic and Applied Ethics

Primary Major GPA: 4.0 / Cumulative GPA: 3.92

A few research experience & leadership & TA experience; one translation published.

Could anyone evaluate this? Thanks!

• 1 month later...

@Harrison LiI have also applied for this cycle-- while I can't speak to any admission odds myself, I know that your proposed subject area(s) and how well they match to the faculty carry a good amount of weight.  Any work you have in healthcare or adjacent fields is also an asset, as many students on the course are already practising professionals.  And have confidence in your strong GPA!  Wishing you the best of luck and an easy last few months of waiting!  

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/16/2022 at 10:21 AM, Harrison Li said:

Hey guys!

I'm applying to MSt in Practical Ethics for the 2023-24 enrollment, so I want to know if I have some chance to get in. Here's my info:

2 majors: Economics and Mathematics at Brigham Young University (Also satisfy graduation requirements for BA in Philosophy)

3 minors: Logic; Philosophy; Theoretic and Applied Ethics

Primary Major GPA: 4.0 / Cumulative GPA: 3.92

A few research experience & leadership & TA experience; one translation published.

Could anyone evaluate this? Thanks!

Your profile does look interesting. However, I am unsure how they decide; personal statement also carries much weight from what I know. All the best.