Dogs and graduate school

dithering

I am entering a Master's program this fall. Looking at my schedule, I have only seven hours of class a week on average. I am going to be finding a bachelor apartment in Edmonton... and it is dawning on me... my dream of having a dog might just be feasible for the first time in my life.

I will be able to live comfortably, with my only other responsibility being a research assistanceship with very flexible working hours. I tend to work in the house and am generally a homebody, but am also quite active--- love walking and exploring, and Edmonton, Alberta (where I will be moving in August) seems like a wonderful city for this. (Also, Canada has protection for tenants in terms of renting apartments with pets-- its illegal to turn away someone based on owning a pet).

Secondly, from December to February my partner will be joining me in Edmonton and he is completely committed to the idea of a dog as well. I hope to return home to do my PhD next year and we will be living together.

I love medium to large dogs in particular-- whippets, greyhounds, German shepherds, labs/retrievers, standard poodles with Leonbergers being my favourite dog breed. However, I would prefer to adopt a dog if its feasible.

What are your experiences with dogs and graduate school? Do you find in periods of high stress you neglect your dog? Does it make travelling exceedingly difficult? (I will probably only be coming home for Christmas and Easter.) Can anyone recommend medium to large sized breeds that might be suitable for an apartment (I would definitely be doing one long-- 1hr to 1hr 30min-- walk per day, probably two or three walks all together)? Or should I really consider a smaller breed for the sake of the animal?

Thanks a lot!

I was in a similar situation to you, really looking forward to getting a pet when I started grad school. I have yet to get a pet and I doubt I will get one anytime soon. Of course I still really really really want a cat or a dog, but I know that at this point in my life it just isn't fair to the animal. I know this post is going to be quite negative and I don't want to say anything that offends you, but maybe consider this a reality check before you go ahead and adopt a pet. If you have taken all these into consideration and still feel comfortable being a dog owner, then I am sure you can give a pet a great home :)

Grad school means long hours. Maybe you are the type of person who works best at home, but for me I needed to go into the office to get any work done. When it came time to write my MA thesis I was pulling really late nights (typically staying on campus until at least 11pm) because it was only after every one else went home that I would be free from distractions and get down to work. Perhaps your new department will let you bring your dog to campus with you, but make sure you get it in writing (don't assume anything!)

I also traveled a lot as part of my MA. I went to a lot of conferences and attended a lot of meetings as a grad student rep. If you plan to participate in the conference circuit, who will take care of your dog?

Have you lived in a cold climate before? Edmonton gets COLD in the winter. I just moved away from Alberta and nothing had prepared me for the bone chilling cold of the winter. I had absolutely no interest in going outside when it was -30 degree weather. Those readings you are putting off will start to look mighty interesting when faced with the choice between reading and going for a walk.

Have you worked out your budget? Cost of living was pretty high in Calgary, I am not sure how bad it is in Edmonton. Expect to spend considerably more on your groceries, going out for dinner, pub nights, etc. The Calgary Humane Society has a budget breakdown on how much to expect to spend on your new pet: http://www.calgaryhumane.ca/Page.aspx?pid=333

The most important thing is to make sure that you can give your dog a home for its entire life. During my MA I got a few emails from fellow grad students who were moving and needed to find a new home for their pet. To me that is a really crappy thing to do. If you are sure that you can provide a stable home for the next 10+ years, go ahead and adopt. If things get hazy after you are done your MA, maybe it is best to hold off a bit longer.

Again, I am sorry if I come off as being overly negative. Good luck in your grad school adventures!

I have friends (Masters and Doc students) who didn't have a pet (dog or otherwise) going into Grad School and wanted one. The majority of them still don't. Generally, those who do have pets had them prior to starting school and already know the commitment (time and money) it takes before starting this journey. Personally, I have 2 cats and 2 dogs (Siberian Husky and a Husky/Malamute mix), but I also have a husband who shares the responsibilities with me. I'm also not a fan of having dogs (teacup or otherwise) in apartments. Having pets means having to make sacrifices when it comes to searching for places to live, paying extra deposits, and paying for those vet bills. I don't know that taking all of that on when starting school is the best idea.

The only person who can tell you if getting dog is a good idea is you, since it really depends on what type of person you are.

Like you, I always had the dream of owning a dog. While finishing my Master's, I acquired both a dog (a month after starting my program) and a cat (a year into my program via a dumpster). I do not regret my decision...not the least bit. That being said, I am also the kind of person who shops at Goodwill, keeps the same cell phone for at least 5 years, and refuses to pay for cable. Most of my extra income after rent, gas, and food go towards my pets. I am single, so all the responsibilities fall on me. I also live in a place where…half the year… the temperature is in the 100s and…the other half of the year… it rains non-stop. Rain or shine (or, in a few cases, haze from a nearby forest fire), I walk my dog religiously twice a day. I also used to have to pay extra pet rent for my dog and had to put a bigger deposit on my former apartment. I even had to sometimes adjust my schedule, so that I can make sure I am home in time to take my dog to go potty. However, I would not have it another way, because I value them over other more material things, like clothes and fancy cell phones, and I feel my extra effort is paid back with their "love". Having them has also led to some positive consequences such as losing weight from all of the walking I have to do each day.

Some people can handle this lifestyle. Some cannot, and there is nothing wrong with that. The problem lies when well-meaning people try to take care of animals but cannot handle all of the responsibilities required.

So, you have to decide for yourself whether you are willing to deal with all of the responsibilities that come with owning a dog. If you can handle them, go for it. If not, you might want to consider something that requires less responsibility and less money like a hamster or a rat (Don't laugh. I have owned rats before. They are both clean and intelligent. You can even teach them tricks like dogs :) , but you have to deal with the social stigma attached to them. :( )

Oh...and, if you do decide to get a dog, DO NOT buy one. Adopt one for three reasons: You are a saving a life, you will be able to find a dog that is already potty-trained (believe me...you do not want to deal with potty-training while in a program), and sometimes (since a lot of dogs in rescues are surrenders) you can learn the dog's history and personality so that you can find one that meets your grad lifestyle.

A greyhound is a great apartment dog - provided you get one that's lazy. 95% of greyhounds are lazy. The other 5% are under the age of 2! Retired racers are always looking for homes. They will sleep about 18 hours a day. They will be MORE than happy to walk with you. They should not be let off the leash. PM me for more info - I have four and have fostered quite a few.

Thanks to all for the helpful comments and feedback.

My first three years of undergrad I also had to lock myself in the library late at night. The last two years I have developed much more effective studying methods (part of the burden of trying to teach myself French) at home during normal hours. Of course, there will always be days that I spend a couple of hours at the library, but I no longer work best cooped up there all night.

As far as travelling for conferences goes, this is something that I hope to to at least twice. Luckily, I have two close friends with permanent homes in Edmonton that would be willing to watch the dog for a couple of days.

I have indeed lived in a cold climate. The part of Ontario I live in can get really cold in January and February, -10 to -15 average, and two winters ago we dropped below -25 regularly (-30 with the windchill). Like any good Canadian I know that the key is dressing 100% appropriately and limiting exposure to 30 minutes. Furthermore, my friends from Ontario in Edmonton describe the cold in Edmonton as dry which makes it somewhat more tolerable as long as you are dressed appropriately. Apparently you don't get that "chilled to the bone" feeling of the damp cold we get in Ontario. Of course, I do not love this weather, but it is important for my mental health not to stay cooped up but to get out in the winter anyway, and I love the idea that a dog will enable me to do this regularly!

As for budget issues, I am not much of a spender at all and would be happy to put my extra "play" money towards having a companion and friend in a dog! I am quite thrifty when it comes to my personal needs. Although I know some items like cigarettes are expensive in Alberta, rent is pretty much the same as where I am currently living. I also will have a free transit pass as a student and my research assistanceship covers both my tuition (which is super cheap in Alberta) and rent.

I plan on finding a suitable place before looking for a dog. Apparently adoption agencies (including the greyhound rescue agency I'm looking at) check your home as a part of your application anyway. Obviously, if I can't find suitable accommodations I will wait on the dog!

Thanks again!

• 2 months later...

I just wanted to add my two cents on owning dogs and living in an apartment. It is absolutely feasible to have a dog in an apartment as long as you're willing to put in the work. I waited until I was done with my Masters to get a dog, but that's more because I wanted to be financially sound before committing to a dog. And can I just say, I can't imagine my life without him. I used to be a pasty ghost even in the summers, but now that I have Booker I'm outside at least an hour every day. I've seen more of my city and its surrounding area since he came into my life than I did the previous two years of living here. Of course I sometimes have to skip dinner with friends or coworkers because I have to go home to take care of my dog, but I have never once resented him for it. I know it sounds kind of crazy, but the best thing I ever did for myself is bring that little dog into my life. It's hard to explain exactly how I've benefited from having him around, but I'm just much happier in general because of him.

That said, pet ownership is not something to enter into lightly. Make sure you spend a couple of months at grad school and get a handle on your routine before you purchase an animal. I would strongly recommend having a car for vet trips, emergencies, etc. My dog is EXPENSIVE. He has unrelated neurological and vascular disorders (that's what I get for buying a pure breed, but I will likely not do again) and has cost me almost $4000 in the last 18 months. That doesn't count the hundreds of dollars I have spent training him in obedience and agility to keep his mind and body active. But again, I wouldn't trade my day-to-day interactions with him for the world.

For the record, my husband and I also have two indoor-only cats. Our oldest has lived in three different states as we've made our various school-related moves. All three of our pets will be coming with us if I get into graduate school. Just remember that you are committed to an animal for its whole life and that it is your job to provide it with the highest quality of life you have to offer. Good pet owners come in all shapes and sizes and there's no reason a grad student living in an apartment can't be one of them. Good luck!

I am definitely an animal person. It is good for my mental health. Me and my SO have 2 dogs and 2 cats. I would say go for it if it makes you happy? Have you ever owned a dog? I've had dogs my entire life so... it is possibly a little different. This isn't your first dog is it?

I got my dog when I was in my last semester of my master's program. I wish I would have gotten him sooner. It was so nice to have something to require me to take a break from academics. Plus, as a student, you have plenty of open windows to check on the puppy and potty train him. It is so hard if you work 8 or 10 hours shifts. It was a wonderful experience for me. There is a lot of info on the internet that tells you how apartment friendly/active dogs are. You will be surprised how many big dogs are suited for apartment living.

• 3 weeks later...

I feel the same as wordbird. I really, really want a dog. I love dogs. However, my program and apartment is in New York. New York is a very dog-friendly city - there's a dog run in the park a block away from my apartment, as well as a jogging path and such - but my lifestyle is not a dog-friendly lifestyle. I travel at least once a year for conferences; I fly home 2-3 times a year, and I have extended family and a significant other in New Jersey who I visit 1-3 weekends out of the month, especially during the summer.

Even when I am at home, if I had a dog, I'd have to walk it (there are no fenced yards here), be home to feed it, and have enough time to give it exercise. I wouldn't MIND doing that stuff (indeed, "Sorry, I have to go feed my dog" is a great excuse!) but I don't know if I actually could do that stuff. I do work best at home, but being in the coursework phase of my doctoral program I'm not home a lot anyway. The poor doggie would be in the crate and/or alone in the house much of the time, and then when I wanted to go away I'd have to put the dog up in a kennel. My mom has a dog and a kennel for a few days can cost nearly $100 - that's an extra expense on top of my own travel expenses. Uh, no thanks. Not to mention dog food and leashes, toys, vet visits...I don't have that kind of money.

Then I thought about getting a cat. I think my lifestyle would be better suited for a cat, but I'd still have to cut back my weekend visits to my family and I'd still at least have to find someone I trust to come check on my cat(s) every time I needed to go somewhere, or board them, or find a catsitter. It's not that difficult - there are lots of people in the department with cats who are willing to take one or two extra kitties in, or who are willing to check on cats. I'm still debating getting a cat - I'd love to have a furry creature to love and spoil, and I like cats almost as much as I love dogs - but I know that I definitely could not have a dog.

So what I did instead is I started volunteering for the ASPCA :) I'm still in training but volunteering with them will give me the opportunity to interact with dogs and cats at least once a week. I also agree with Emilee's advice to adopt a dog, if you do get one! My volunteer position with the ASPCA is an adoption counselor, and we have a match program so we match the dog's personality with yours. We do full health and behavior evaluations, and we train the dogs - so a lot of times you can get a dog who is not only already houstrained, he or she already knows some commands and is already spayed or neutered! We don't do home checks when we adopt our animals out and a lot of shelters in New York don't.

I will say this, though - I don't live as far north as Edmonton, but it does get pretty cold in New York, and I wouldn't mind walking a dog in the cold weather. Then again, I like cold and snow, so I don't mind.

I am also thinking of adopting a dog. However, I plan on waiting for a bit. And if I were you, I would probably wait until you are at least into your degree a bit so you know for sure that you can handle the responsibilities of a dog and your studies. Maybe even wait until your partner arrives to live with you, then you know that on those days you just can't take the dog out for x walks a day, someone is there to take care of him/her. Also, I would really look into the breed of dog you would be getting if you are living in a bachelor apartment... Medium to large dogs are often not suited to live in small apartments and would then need even more time outside, thus cutting into your time that was not originally planned for walks.

If you really want a dog, I would seriously consider ways to make it work. I believe they are great stress relievers and company for students. Maybe look into adopting a small-medium sized dog, and consider breeds that are more "lazy". I remember reading about one breed, can't remember it now, but it was medium sized and would prefer to lay on the couch than get out for a walk. How great for the life of a student! As others have suggested, do a bit of research before plunging in. I have been researching quite a bit, and have decided to wait until I am no longer in an apartment (possibly buying a house soon) so that I have a yard and know I have options for when I just can't take the time to get out for walks. Also, I have a horse I board outside the city, and as it stands now she is not getting the attention she deserves. I can't possibly add another animal to mix right now, before I have plans to care for them all!

Good luck with your decision, and let us all know how it works out.