Human Development and Family Studies Fall 2021

jessmarmo

I have been searching all over this site for fellow HDFS applicants but no luck. I wanted to get this started so we get to talking about applications and the process overall!

Just now, jessmarmo said:

I have been searching all over this site for fellow HDFS applicants but no luck. I wanted to get this started so we get to talking about applications and the process overall!

I have applied to both masters and PhD programs. The two PhD programs I applied for were UT Austin and Arizona State University. I got waitlisted at ASU and someone from UT Austin said I should hear about decisions around New Years. 

9 minutes ago, jessmarmo said:

@Susietxdo you mind saying which professor? I haven't heard a peep so I am kinda worried over there ?

Hi Jess. My POI is SYK. I emailed her before application. Yesterday I sent her a holiday card and she told me the committee put me in the waitlist, which means that I would not get an interview until those more suitable students declined the offer. This is the first new I got. Really sad. I didn’t hear from any other schools as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone heard back from UT Austin? I have seen that a few have been invited for interviews or waitlisted and I was hoping to get an email this week. I emailed the graduate coordinator a few weeks ago and he said that we just get notified "right after New Years" but I haven't gotten anything. At this point, I don't care if I am rejected or waitlisted, I just want to know my application status :(((

On 1/8/2021 at 2:48 PM, jessmarmo said:

Has anyone heard back from UT Austin? I have seen that a few have been invited for interviews or waitlisted and I was hoping to get an email this week. I emailed the graduate coordinator a few weeks ago and he said that we just get notified "right after New Years" but I haven't gotten anything. At this point, I don't care if I am rejected or waitlisted, I just want to know my application status :(((

I applied to the HDFS program and have not a heard a single thing...and it is definitely past New Years...I checked the portal and it still states "In Review"

Edited by AReelExpert

What programs did all of you apply to? I applied to quite a few HDFS programs last year :) 

Don't worry too much that you havent heard anything from certain programs yet, btw. I know that the program where I did my MA accepts people all the way into April. I think I heard the most concrete news from programs in February. HDFS programs also dont always interview -- sometimes they cold accept people as slots/funding opens up. I'm guessing that funding is crazier than usual this year, so many programs may just not know what they can offer yet. 

Hey everyone! 

I've applied to 5 Ph.D. programs - University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Arizona State University, UNC-Charlotte, University of Michigan, and Oregon State University. 

I unfortunately was rejected to UIUC and ASU, but the other three are still on the table. Has anyone heard back from these schools?

1 hour ago, pb98 said:

Hey everyone! 

I've applied to 5 Ph.D. programs - University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Arizona State University, UNC-Charlotte, University of Michigan, and Oregon State University. 

I unfortunately was rejected to UIUC and ASU, but the other three are still on the table. Has anyone heard back from these schools?

Hi, I also applied to the HDFS Phd at Oregon State and had an interview with an admissions officer last week and with POI yesterday. They told me interviews will keep rolling in the next couple weeks and Admissions results will possible be out by the end of february. 

Is there an HDFS program at UMich? Or what program did you applied to? 

2 minutes ago, inesdep said:

Hi, I also applied to the HDFS Phd at Oregon State and had an interview with an admissions officer last week and with POI yesterday. They told me interviews will keep rolling in the next couple weeks and Admissions results will possible be out by the end of february. 

Is there an HDFS program at UMich? Or what program did you applied to? 

ooof I hope I get an interview! and I applied to the combined program in education and psychology at UMICH!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2021 at 1:19 PM, hopelessoptimist said:

I was invited to the HDFS recruitment weekend at UT Austin but I haven't heard anything back yet (and it's been 2 and a half weeks). Is anyone else in the same boat?

I have still not heard a single thing from UT Austin which sounds like it may be a rejection ? 

When is the recruitment event supposed to be?

42 minutes ago, AReelExpert said:

I have still not heard a single thing from UT Austin which sounds like it may be a rejection ? 

When is the recruitment event supposed to be?

Recruitment weekend was at the end of January. Though I assume everyone in Texas has more pressing things to deal with than admissions right now!

• 3 weeks later...

does anyone have any updates from UT-Austin, regardless if you were interviewed or not?

I emailed the graduate coordinator on Thursday about my application status, as well as mentioned that I have other offers, and he just apologized for the delay and said he would check in with the committee. POI is SYK and ELB if it matters at all.