Amount of Schools

zizu

Apologies if this topic has been covered, new here! This is my first go at applying to grad programs and I've narrowed my list to 8. I was wondering how many schools you guys are planning on applying to? I feel like everyone is applying to programs in the top 10-15 list so I'm curious if I'm applying to too many or too few? 

Tough call. If you are interested in all eight of those schools, maybe just apply to all of them? It certainly increases your odds of getting into a program. Of course, this depends on how much time/money you want to spend on applications as well.

It seems like a lot of people apply to their dream school(s) and then some backups. For me, I only had one school that worked due to location and funding, so I put all of my energy into that single application (and got in). Not applying elsewhere would be risky if you have more options though!

• 2 weeks later...

I applied to 6 schools last year and 6 schools this year! Got into a few last year, but decided ultimately they weren't for me and the application process itself taught me a lot about what I was actually looking for in schools. (Plus, if schools weren't all that responsive, or if their application was a pain, then I mentally crossed them off my list. I feel like the way applicants are treated will tell you a lot.) 

If each of the schools has something you're interested in, then I think 8 sounds just fine. 

• 2 weeks later...