2021 EALC (East Asian)

22 hours ago, ssj124 said:

yes, that's helpful! thank you :) was just trying to comb through previous years' pages to see which schools seem to interview.. I guess I'll just have to wait and see. good luck for your interviews!

Yeah, it seems like a lot of schools have been behind schedule. Some POI even told me that this year they received almost double applications due to test-optional policy, so they have been overwhelmed going through all the applications. And thanks! 

20 hours ago, DesperateKid said:

oooooh good luck with your interview!

Thank you!! Praying I don't wreck the 15 minutes haha

What's everyone's area of study/what are ya'll interested in? :)  I'm interested in Premodern Jap Lit, specifically Edo period popular culture and the use of women's bodies in horror/supernatural genre. Would love to hear where everyone's coming from!

Just now, lesleyzhanggg said:

Are yall for phd or master? I feel like not many students are applying for master this year?

and yall mean the Eastern Asian Languages and Culture or Asian studies? I am so anxious rn since I've heard application this year is insane.

I do work on contemporary political visual culture and phenomenology in Asia. Only ended up applying to one EAS program this year, amongst a handful of others across disciplines.

Edited by azu

21 hours ago, lesleyzhanggg said:

and yall mean the Eastern Asian Languages and Culture or Asian studies? I am so anxious rn since I've heard application this year is insane.

How insane is insane? 

Meanwhile, schools that I applied to (mainly applied to EALC) completely didn't contact me till now. 

On 1/26/2021 at 4:03 AM, DesperateKid said:

Hi! Another PhD applicant here!

I've been just looking at the results and I finally found this thread suffocating from the endless waiting. 

I only had two interviews now, I wonder if this means that I didn't make it to the third round

I didn't have the second interview so I guess that's it haha. 

3 minutes ago, xyz000 said:

I didn't have the second interview so I guess that's it haha. 

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that, but I'm sure we'll get into other programs we want. 

I'm not hearing back from them for any further interview, and I feel like I didn't do so well on the second interview, so I guess this is it for me. POI told me that if I don't hear back for a while, I could ask the administration about the process, and they will tell me the result. I'm just not asking them myself because it would just hurt me too much to actively reach out to them to hear the sad result...

On 1/30/2021 at 2:24 PM, cosmic_chariot said:

How insane is insane? 

Meanwhile, schools that I applied to (mainly applied to EALC) completely didn't contact me till now. 

Mine either. I just read a tweet from a econ professor in Umich talking about how insane the application is this year. He basically targeted on the PhD but I assume it's the same for masters. Just so many qualified applicants. 

I'm anxious everyday. Gees. Masters do not even have the interview invitation so that I have no idea how my app was weighted. 

DO you think this year will be more or less competitive in masters? I saw others asked the question in another thread. 

4 hours ago, lesleyzhanggg said:

Mine either. I just read a tweet from a econ professor in Umich talking about how insane the application is this year. He basically targeted on the PhD but I assume it's the same for masters. Just so many qualified applicants. 

Oof.

3 hours ago, lesleyzhanggg said:

I'm anxious everyday. Gees. Masters do not even have the interview invitation so that I have no idea how my app was weighted. 

DO you think this year will be more or less competitive in masters? I saw others asked the question in another thread. 

Same, I am having sleepless night :( I think the results for some results might be out this early-mid February according to some of the schools' websites. But, from what I heard, Masters application usually don't entail interview.

5 minutes ago, cosmic_chariot said:

Same, I am having sleepless night :( I think the results for some results might be out this early-mid February according to some of the schools' websites. But, from what I heard, Masters application usually don't entail interview.

://///

Are you a phd or master applicant? I do wanna know whether this year application for master will be harder or easier even though I know it's hard to tell. It would be a comfit even if someone tells me it's so hard to get in this year lol. 

On 1/31/2021 at 8:28 AM, lesleyzhanggg said:

://///

Are you a phd or master applicant? I do wanna know whether this year application for master will be harder or easier even though I know it's hard to tell. It would be a comfit even if someone tells me it's so hard to get in this year lol. 

Don't quote me on this, but generally when the job market situation is not so good, grad admissions tend to be more competitive, so I would guess the same for the master's programs too

I'm freaking out it's already February! The next two weeks will be excruciating...

1 hour ago, DesperateKid said:

I'm freaking out it's already February! The next two weeks will be excruciating...

I feel so. I have ptsd for gmail's notification ring when my college's emails are flowing in my email. 

4 hours ago, lesleyzhanggg said:

I feel so. I have ptsd for gmail's notification ring when my college's emails are flowing in my email. 

2 hours ago, DesperateKid said:

Same here. There are so many works that need to be done and I can't stop checking my inbox...

I constantly refresh my email and grad cafe easily 20 times a day. I feel ya'lls pain :( Lets hope these next two weeks go by quickly!

uhhh I'm rejected by UCB's Asian Studies. tbh I did not expect this cuz I have strong recommendations and one of my prof is UCB's alumni. and I have good academic performance & work experience. But i know my writing sample is not that good. Is it okay if I ask admission office the reason I am rejected?

9 hours ago, lesleyzhanggg said:

UCB is not my top choice but i am concerned that if UCB rejects me, what about the school better than UCB or in the same tier of UCB. I'm doubting whether I am not qualified enough. 

I feel you, but I've heard a lot that grad admissions just don't work that way. If you say Berkeley was not your top choice, I think what you mean is they are not the best fit for you, and fit matters. So it means you still have hopes for those with better fit! 

On 1/31/2021 at 3:30 AM, DesperateKid said:

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that, but I'm sure we'll get into other programs we want. 

I'm not hearing back from them for any further interview, and I feel like I didn't do so well on the second interview, so I guess this is it for me. POI told me that if I don't hear back for a while, I could ask the administration about the process, and they will tell me the result. I'm just not asking them myself because it would just hurt me too much to actively reach out to them to hear the sad result...

Which field are you in? I'm in modern China. My POI told me that my field will only admit only one person or none this year. It's tough year. Fingers crossed!

8 hours ago, xyz000 said:

Which field are you in? I'm in modern China. My POI told me that my field will only admit only one person or none this year. It's tough year. Fingers crossed!

I work on premodern China. I didn't ask my POI about the size of the incoming cohort, it would have been great if I did. 

9 hours ago, lesleyzhanggg said:

Does the focus matter for master program? I also focus on China but I concentrate on China's politics more. 

3 hours ago, DesperateKid said:

I'm not so sure what you mean by this, but having a clear research question won't hurt. 

Yeah, to add to @DesperateKid's comment, having a research question that also meshes well with interests of the faculty in the department is essential. You can have fantastic research questions and still not get into a masters program because there's no one who can viably advise you on it. That goes for both MA and PhD I think.