BU MSW Fall 2021

j.peg

• 3 weeks later...
23 hours ago, MSW-hopeful said:

I'm going to submit my application tomorrow I believe! The day before the deadline so cutting it a bit close, but still should be okay hopefully. Do you know if they wait till the 7th to start reviewing or if they review as apps are submitted?

Congrats! I don't think that the admissions are rolling, but I am going to ask about that because I applied in late December. 

I just got accepted into BC with a 50% tuition scholarship and am now feeling conflicted about the BU app since I hadn't pressed submit yet for the deadline tonight. Is anyone able to speak to what might make BU better than BC? Otherwise I'm tempted to stick with my BC acceptance since they were my top 2 choices

53 minutes ago, MSW-hopeful said:

I just got accepted into BC with a 50% tuition scholarship and am now feeling conflicted about the BU app since I hadn't pressed submit yet for the deadline tonight. Is anyone able to speak to what might make BU better than BC? Otherwise I'm tempted to stick with my BC acceptance since they were my top 2 choices

Same! I think what I have heard generally is that BU is bigger class size and more of a city vibe, whereas BC is smaller and more suburban. I also don't think BU gives as much money generally as BC. Congrats!

8 minutes ago, JazmineH said:

Same! I think what I have heard generally is that BU is bigger class size and more of a city vibe, whereas BC is smaller and more suburban. I also don't think BU gives as much money generally as BC. Congrats!

Congrats to you as well!! Are you also in the boat of deciding whether to click submit on BU ?? Yeah i definitely think BC is located in more suburbs, but I believe their field placement is still anywhere in the city of Boston. I could be wrong though!

7 minutes ago, MSW-hopeful said:

Congrats to you as well!! Are you also in the boat of deciding whether to click submit on BU ?? Yeah i definitely think BC is located in more suburbs, but I believe their field placement is still anywhere in the city of Boston. I could be wrong though!

Oh yeah BC is still a Boston school its just technically a little outside the city. Field placements are definitely in the entire Boston metro area. I already applied to BU in the beginning of December so I guess I will jut wait it out. Kind of regretting doing the super early decision for BC, but I did get a scholarship so it worked out I suppose. I will probably just put my deposit down assuming BU wont give me as much money. If they do further down the road I guess I'll decide then. 

On 1/6/2021 at 9:08 PM, whitg said:

I applied as well! I have no clue when we are supposed to hear back but fingers crossed its soon haha

I emailed admissions and they said it is not rolling and we won't hear back until mid to late February regardless how early we submitted. I don't know how I can wait for another month!!!

9 hours ago, MSW-hopeful said:

The BU On campus program is in the heart of Boston, it is an easily accessible city by foot and public transit, and most fieldwork internships are in the city. Boston College is in the suburbs outside of Boston (Chesnut Hill/Newton area), so you may need to have access to a car, for example to get to your internships. BU is a larger school so that could be either good or bad for you, I would prefer to meet more people, as opposed to being in the same classes with the same group of people for the program. BC is smaller so you would be able to make better connections with faculty and students and it has more of a campus, whereas BU is very urban and spread out. I think it is all about what fits for you, for example, I do not have a car, want to be in an urban environment, and would prefer being at a bigger university. 

8 hours ago, JazmineH said:

Oh yeah BC is still a Boston school its just technically a little outside the city. Field placements are definitely in the entire Boston metro area. I already applied to BU in the beginning of December so I guess I will jut wait it out. Kind of regretting doing the super early decision for BC, but I did get a scholarship so it worked out I suppose. I will probably just put my deposit down assuming BU wont give me as much money. If they do further down the road I guess I'll decide then. 

Yeah I have also heard that BU won't give you as much scholarship funds. I think that is usually the case based on the size of the institution (smaller can give more scholarships, but larger ones can't). 

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, anxiouslywaiting2021 said:

Hey everyone! I'm new here and I'm wondering if anyone has heard? I applied to the advanced standing track for the macro MSW program but haven't heard yet.

omg your username is so good haha. did you apply by the priority deadline? if so, my guess is February 18th or 19th.

23 minutes ago, anxiouslywaiting2021 said:

I'm honestly not sure! I'm still waiting on admissions decisions from two other schools so it will depend on that and financial aid!

I hope you hear back soon, waiting is the worst part!

26 minutes ago, j.peg said:

I hope you hear back soon, waiting is the worst part!

Thank you! It definitely is and I just sent my application recently for one of the schools I'm waiting for and they said it could take up to 8 weeks to hear so I really hope that isn't true. I hope you get accepted from the waitlist for BU! Did you apply advanced standing?

6 hours ago, anxiouslywaiting2021 said:

Thank you! It definitely is and I just sent my application recently for one of the schools I'm waiting for and they said it could take up to 8 weeks to hear so I really hope that isn't true. I hope you get accepted from the waitlist for BU! Did you apply advanced standing?

Oh wow, yeah I hope for you it comes sooner than 8 weeks! Thanks! Unfortunately, I am just regular track, not advanced standing. I emailed someone at BU and she said that I had been accepted but they just didn’t know if they had a spot for me yet, which is good to hear. :) 

Applied to 2-year on campus MSW program on Jan 7th, heard back on Valentine’s Day that I’m on the waitlist. 

I also applied to NYU and Fordham’s MSW programs, just got admitted into Fordham today, still waiting for NYU. Don’t really feel like having a chance with BU’s waitlist.