Jump to content

Public school: J1 or F1?


Recommended Posts

Dear all, I have been applying to several schools, including two public (art history). And I got worried about the infamous two-year rule. If the university is public, then the funding is (almost exclusively?) public and I will end up being subject to the two-year rule?  Who makes the decision about the type of visa? I would be very grateful for any thoughts and insights!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You can usually indicate a preference if the school offers both. However, a large number of schools is unwilling to sponsor students for the J1. 

But yeah, u can generally choose which of the two.

The 2 year rule is more dependent on 'need' in your home country and may be waived if there's an agreement between the US and your country that your home country doesn't 'need' people in your area of graduation.


The choose for which visa - if given the option - is a bit tricky. F1 is generally more 'flexible' and better if you'd like to work off campus for a bit, would like to work in the US afterwards, and so on. J1 is better if you bring your partner and he/she wants to work (partner of F2 cannot obtain a work permit), but you cannot work off campus.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.