How important are GRE scores for music theory PhD programs?

pianoman2022

I’m looking at several top music theory PhD programs (Eastman, Yale, Columbia, Harvard, Northwestern...just to name a few) and was wondering how heavily GRE scores are weighed for applicants.  My current scores are 160V, 150Q, and 4.5A, so my quant score is low, but I’ve heard that humanities programs generally only care about verbal and writing scores.  I’ve considered retaking it to boost my quant score, but I’m not sure if it’s worth the time and money.  Additionally, I have a 3.99 GPA at my undergrad institution, so I’m wondering if this might be able to offset my lower quant score.  Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't logged in here for a couple years. Obviously you posted this some time ago but figured I could give you an answer. My understanding is that generally the writing score is given the most weight by music programs. I have heard this from faculty first hand. Also your GPA is great so that should help you out too.

The most important parts of your application, however, are your statement of purpose and your writing samples for Theory PHD's. So: is the GRE important? Yes, but it is not the most important. Beyond that not all the sections are given equal weight in determining admission.

Thanks so much for the insights!  When you say writing score do you mean the AW score (i.e., the two essays that are graded from 1-6) or the verbal section (i.e., the vocab/reading comprehension multiple choice section)?  

56 minutes ago, pianoman2022 said:

Thanks so much for the insights!  When you say writing score do you mean the AW score (i.e., the two essays that are graded from 1-6) or the verbal section (i.e., the vocab/reading comprehension multiple choice section)?  

I am specifically referring to the Analytical Writing section.