Change a B to pass/fail?

jpc34

Hey everyone! This does feel a bit like a ridiculous question, but I thought I'd ask. I'm a senior history major planning to apply to grad schools next year. I just got my fall semester grades back and I got a B on one of my history courses. This semester my university gives us the option to switch the grading basis from A-F to pass/fail after we get our grades back. I'm considering changing that B to a pass, which would very slightly improve my GPA, but I'm more concerned about having the B on my transcript when applying to history grad programs (it would be my lowest history grade). But on the other hand I don't know if having the pass/fail would raise more eyebrows than the B. Of course this is all kind of hypothetical and unknowable, and probably would have very little real impact on the quality of my application, but any insight would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

14 hours ago, jpc34 said:

Hey everyone! This does feel a bit like a ridiculous question, but I thought I'd ask. I'm a senior history major planning to apply to grad schools next year. I just got my fall semester grades back and I got a B on one of my history courses. This semester my university gives us the option to switch the grading basis from A-F to pass/fail after we get our grades back. I'm considering changing that B to a pass, which would very slightly improve my GPA, but I'm more concerned about having the B on my transcript when applying to history grad programs (it would be my lowest history grade). But on the other hand I don't know if having the pass/fail would raise more eyebrows than the B. Of course this is all kind of hypothetical and unknowable, and probably would have very little real impact on the quality of my application, but any insight would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

Ask your history professors plus your adviser. They should have contacts to folks who are in graduate programs who can offer thought POVs.

Personally I would switch to Pass. But I've heard the opposite opinion too... I don't think anyone here can give you a definitive answer. 

Keep in mind also that I'm in the Study of Religion not history.