SOS I'm applying for SLP programs

Hi!

I'm applying to SLP programs in the NJ/NY region. Im freaking out because I don't think I have a good chance to get in anywhere. I didn't do so hot in undergrad (my cum. GPA is less than competitive), but I did well in my major (Linguistics), at the same time I was active in research and labs in undergrad. I went back to school to take SLP prereqs and got a 4.0 this semester. I did like ~ok~ on the GRE, but I just took them and some program deadlines have past and the scores aren't in yet. I'm sure I got very positive letters of recs (Im very passionate about language but I tried to double major and it went terribly.)

For those who have applied with similar conditions before, where did you apply and how did that go? Any advice? Are there programs that are easier to get into? I dont know i'm just feeling really defeated. 

Hi JessC! Having been in a very similar state of panic last year, I can definitely relate. 

I think it's important to know that getting into graduate school is a bit of a numbers game crapshoot, no matter what career you're pursuing. You can do your best to inoculate yourself against rejection to some extent, but at the end of the day your application is going to be considered relative to everyone else that happened to submit to that school in that cycle. You can only control so many variables. Paying attention to what you can control will ultimately pay off, but it may take more than one try, and that is okay. Nobody will ever ask you how many times you were rejected once you're accepted, where you were accepted once you're licensed, or even what your GPA was 99% of the time. 

My advice (based on having gone through 3 grad school application cycles, 2 of which were for SLP) is:

0) Develop a crystal-clear understanding of the range of student profiles commonly accepted at the programs you're interested in. ASHA EdFind is a great resource for this, as the information is updated very consistently. Find ways to make yourself competitive based on that criteria rather than what you may already have in your head. You might be surprised at the ranges evident in many well-known programs. If you notice that you're swinging for the hills, explore options that fall more into the range you're currently in and apply to both next time. 

1) take it seriously, but don't take it too seriously. Recognize that even if you don't get it right away, you're a competitive candidate - not an outlier by any means - and you can use the time in between to add to your experience through work or additional observation, both of which will add to your toolbox once you do get into a program.

2) Graduate school is demanding. Anything you can do before starting to ease that up will make you a stronger candidate and student, including retaking classes that apply to the field that you may not have done well in, studying for and retaking the GRE if it seems worth it, etc.

3) Get in the habit of acting like you're already in grad school before getting in by refining your interests. Explore specific topics and exploring the literature out there. ASHA evidence maps are a good jumping off point. 

Good luck!

On 1/5/2021 at 4:26 PM, JessC said:

Hi!

I'm applying to SLP programs in the NJ/NY region. Im freaking out because I don't think I have a good chance to get in anywhere. I didn't do so hot in undergrad (my cum. GPA is less than competitive), but I did well in my major (Linguistics), at the same time I was active in research and labs in undergrad. I went back to school to take SLP prereqs and got a 4.0 this semester. I did like ~ok~ on the GRE, but I just took them and some program deadlines have past and the scores aren't in yet. I'm sure I got very positive letters of recs (Im very passionate about language but I tried to double major and it went terribly.)

For those who have applied with similar conditions before, where did you apply and how did that go? Any advice? Are there programs that are easier to get into? I dont know i'm just feeling really defeated. 

Hi!! The previous poster has some really good advice especially looking at colleges that are a good fit for your current scores. I was very focused on finding a school in NY especially a SUNY and a program I liked. I know NY schools are highly competitive to get into but doable. You really have to play up your strengths and what you bring to the table for each program. I applied to LIU Brooklyn and got in, SUNY Plattsburgh and got in and Iona and got in. I was rejected from the CUNY schools and st Johns like I figured. My speech prerequisite gpa was a 3.4, GRE 290ish, undergrad gpa 3.0(I was a horrible bio major for yrs until I switched). I thought my chances were slim so I limited myself to certain schools and I wish I didn’t. I went into the application process applying all over North America and a few NY schools but I wish I’d focused on NY programs more and applied to more SUNYs.  My biggest advice is know how you measure up to other applicants but don’t count yourself out all together. And make sure your passion for speech is evident in everything you write and in interviews. Oh and I have no research experience. My angle was my work experience and working with individuals from 2ish to 21yrs old with disabilities. And one last thing!! Look for schools who still have their applications open. I know I was applying right up until the deadline lol and some schools might even extend them even after the deadline. Good luck!!

On 1/5/2021 at 7:27 PM, meadymalarkey said:

Hi JessC! Having been in a very similar state of panic last year, I can definitely relate. 

I think it's important to know that getting into graduate school is a bit of a numbers game crapshoot, no matter what career you're pursuing. You can do your best to inoculate yourself against rejection to some extent, but at the end of the day your application is going to be considered relative to everyone else that happened to submit to that school in that cycle. You can only control so many variables. Paying attention to what you can control will ultimately pay off, but it may take more than one try, and that is okay. Nobody will ever ask you how many times you were rejected once you're accepted, where you were accepted once you're licensed, or even what your GPA was 99% of the time. 

My advice (based on having gone through 3 grad school application cycles, 2 of which were for SLP) is:

0) Develop a crystal-clear understanding of the range of student profiles commonly accepted at the programs you're interested in. ASHA EdFind is a great resource for this, as the information is updated very consistently. Find ways to make yourself competitive based on that criteria rather than what you may already have in your head. You might be surprised at the ranges evident in many well-known programs. If you notice that you're swinging for the hills, explore options that fall more into the range you're currently in and apply to both next time. 

1) take it seriously, but don't take it too seriously. Recognize that even if you don't get it right away, you're a competitive candidate - not an outlier by any means - and you can use the time in between to add to your experience through work or additional observation, both of which will add to your toolbox once you do get into a program.

2) Graduate school is demanding. Anything you can do before starting to ease that up will make you a stronger candidate and student, including retaking classes that apply to the field that you may not have done well in, studying for and retaking the GRE if it seems worth it, etc.

3) Get in the habit of acting like you're already in grad school before getting in by refining your interests. Explore specific topics and exploring the literature out there. ASHA evidence maps are a good jumping off point. 

Good luck!

This is great advice! Thank you so much for taking the time to share this!

On 1/9/2021 at 11:56 PM, Cece93 said:

Hi!! The previous poster has some really good advice especially looking at colleges that are a good fit for your current scores. I was very focused on finding a school in NY especially a SUNY and a program I liked. I know NY schools are highly competitive to get into but doable. You really have to play up your strengths and what you bring to the table for each program. I applied to LIU Brooklyn and got in, SUNY Plattsburgh and got in and Iona and got in. I was rejected from the CUNY schools and st Johns like I figured. My speech prerequisite gpa was a 3.4, GRE 290ish, undergrad gpa 3.0(I was a horrible bio major for yrs until I switched). I thought my chances were slim so I limited myself to certain schools and I wish I didn’t. I went into the application process applying all over North America and a few NY schools but I wish I’d focused on NY programs more and applied to more SUNYs.  My biggest advice is know how you measure up to other applicants but don’t count yourself out all together. And make sure your passion for speech is evident in everything you write and in interviews. Oh and I have no research experience. My angle was my work experience and working with individuals from 2ish to 21yrs old with disabilities. And one last thing!! Look for schools who still have their applications open. I know I was applying right up until the deadline lol and some schools might even extend them even after the deadline. Good luck!!

I'm in the same ball park as you are in terms of numbers. I have LIU Brooklyn on my list and St. Johns but debating on whether applying to St. John's because their SOP is only 300 words so I cant see that being a defining factor in whether you get in or not--I bet its a numbers game at that program. I have a couple more to apply to. Where did you end up? how are you liking it?

On 1/12/2021 at 12:24 PM, JessC said:

I'm in the same ball park as you are in terms of numbers. I have LIU Brooklyn on my list and St. Johns but debating on whether applying to St. John's because their SOP is only 300 words so I cant see that being a defining factor in whether you get in or not--I bet its a numbers game at that program. I have a couple more to apply to. Where did you end up? how are you liking it?

yeah my stats really did not align with st. johns but i know it's a good school so i applied. I was debating on LIU brooklyn because of how in depth their program is especially with cultural diversity. Ultimately i went with SUNY Plattsburgh because i liked their professors and the fact that my last semester is an externship almost anywhere i want and my first semester i already had a client to work with. I do like the program but with covid i am not able to really get the full feel of it. They are open to what can be done better and what we are struggling with. They also work with you through everything.  If you asked be this during the semester i would've said i hated it lol but that's mostly due to covid and being half afraid of everything and doing nothing but stressing all the time.