Stat/Biostat PhD Profile Evaluation ------ Fall 2022

Hello!

I'm starting to look at Stat/Biostat PhD programs in 2022 since application for 2021 Fall will be closed soon. And I hope for advice as to what schools I should apply and what I can do to enhance my application while I’m in the industry now.

Undergrad Institution: National Tsing Hua University (Top 2 in Taiwan; QS 168)
Major: (B.S.) Quantitative Finance
GPA: 3.05/4.30

Grad Institution: National Taiwan University (Top 1 in Taiwan; QS 66)
Major: (M.S.) Biometry
GPA: 3.95/4.30

Type of Student: US citizen living in Taiwan

GRE General Test: n/a - taking soon 

Programs Applying: Statistics/Biostatistics PhD

Research Experience:  

- One Conference Paper in ecological statistics area in ISI WSC.

- One Conference Poster in ecological statistics area in IAVS.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: 

- Excellent Teaching Assistant Award. (Top 10% TAs in NTU)

Pertinent Activities/Jobs: 

- AI Algorithm Engineer with one and a half year experience when I’m applying in 2022.

- Lecturer in TA training sessions in two universities.

- TA statistics course for 3 semesters and linear algebra for 1 semester.

Coding Skills: 

R, Python, SAS, C, C++

Target:

(US)

Biostats: Brown

Stats: Northwestern, PSU, UCI, UCD, UCR, UPitt, Virginia Tech, Texas A&M

(Singapore)

Stats: NUS

Concerns:

I think my biggest weakness is my undergrad GPA. So, I’m not quite sure if the target is too high for me.

I'd really appreciate any feedback and suggestion on my selection of schools or other ways to improve my background. Thank you!

Edited by Jai-Hua Yen
Change Topic

• Jai-Hua Yen changed the title to Stat/Biostat PhD Profile Evaluation ------ Fall 2022
3 hours ago, DanielWarlock said:

What is your coursework? Have you ever taken relevant classes?

Thank you for your reply.

I completed the following relevant courses:

Undergraduate: Calculus I & II, Linear Algebra, Engineering Mathematics I & II, Discrete Mathematics, Advanced Calculus I & II (Undergrad Real Analysis), Introduction to Programming, Data Structure, Statistical Data Analysis, Statistics I & II, Mathematical Statistics I & II, Probability Theory.

Graduate: Mathematical Statistics (PhD level), Multivariate Analysis, Nonparametric Statistics, Linear Model, Statistical Computing, Experimental Design, Time Series Analysis, Business analytics Using Statistical Modeling.

Thank you!

Edited by Jai-Hua Yen

I see that you have very uncommon profile: having non-US degree as a US citizen; not majored statistics or biostatistics, but took some relevant courses etc. So I recommend you to apply as many schools as you can. I think your SOP and LOR would be really critical. Those are the only chances to connect your background and statistics.

Anyway, once you have good LOR and SOP, your target seems reasonable: some Top 20 (good luck!) and mainly Top 50-70+. Just add more Top 30-40 (e.g. UF, OSU, and FSU) and Top 50-70+ schools (e.g. UT-Austin, SMU, U of SC, you name it.)

Focus on Top 50-70+, and you may get into higher one.

13 hours ago, Stati said:

I see that you have very uncommon profile: having non-US degree as a US citizen; not majored statistics or biostatistics, but took some relevant courses etc. So I recommend you to apply as many schools as you can. I think your SOP and LOR would be really critical. Those are the only chances to connect your background and statistics.

Anyway, once you have good LOR and SOP, your target seems reasonable: some Top 20 (good luck!) and mainly Top 50-70+. Just add more Top 30-40 (e.g. UF, OSU, and FSU) and Top 50-70+ schools (e.g. UT-Austin, SMU, U of SC, you name it.)

Focus on Top 50-70+, and you may get into higher one.

Thank you for your reply and your suggestions.

In my department, students studying biometry is doing the same thing as in stat or biostat department. So I completed those stat courses while I was there.

I will add as many schools as possible!

11 hours ago, Jai-Hua Yen said:

Thank you for your reply and your suggestions.

In my department, students studying biometry is doing the same thing as in stat or biostat department. So I completed those stat courses while I was there.

I will add as many schools as possible!

Great. Gook luck!