Fall 2022 Statistics PhD - Profile evaluation and school suggestions

Hi everyone! I have three semesters left of undergrad and am going to start working on applications this spring/summer, so I'm hoping to get a better idea of what my chances are and where I should apply. I'm pretty exclusively going for statistics PhDs (but let me know if you think I should try the masters route instead).

Undergrad Institution: Large Big 10 school, top 60-70 overall and top 25 stats
Major(s): Statistical Science, Economics
Minor(s): Population Studies
GPA: 4.00
Type of Student: Domestic White Male

GRE
Q: 169
V: 165
Writing: 5
* Don't think I'm going to take the Math GRE -- is that okay or should I take it?

Completed coursework (got an A in all of these)
Introduction to stat analysis, regression and correlation, statistical computing, theory of statistics I & II, applied statistics (ANOVA, ANCOVA, logistic regression, PCA, etc), calculus I/II/III, linear algebra and diff eqs, proof-based/applied linear algebra, econometrics + a bunch of other econ

Future coursework
Definitely: Machine learning (2nd semester of applied stats), experimental design, stats research capstone
Possibly: Stat electives like nonparametric, time series, and/or categorical data. Maybe a sequences & series class and/or analysis. 

Research experience
  • Will have 3.5 years as a research assistant at a demographic data/research center. Lots of coding and data work, not really any theory involved.
  • Helped an applied econ professor clean and analyze data for a paper. Might get my name on the paper, not sure if it'll get published before I apply.
  • Will have an honors thesis in stats. Not sure about topics yet.
  • Hoping to get one more shorter experience with a math/econ/poli sci professor before my undergrad wraps up.

Skills
  • R, SPSS, C++, Excel
  • (Thinking about self-teaching SQL and/or Python)

Awards/Honors/Recognitions
  • University honors program (summa cum laude)
  • Dean's list (all semesters)
  • Four-year scholarship for being national merit finalist + one-year scholarship in economics

Work experience
  • Was selected for the Joint Program in Survey Methodology Junior Fellows Program last summer, but the program got cancelled
  • Working on getting an internship lined up for this summer with a large research organization (NSF, AIR, RTI, NORC, etc)
    • Would an REU be better than this? I'd have to act fast, but I've been looking at applying for some as an alternative option

Letters of recommendation
  • One from my supervisor at my data job, will be very strong bc I've been there my whole undergrad career. Should be able to talk about research contributions, data/programming skills, etc.
  • One from my stat theory prof who will also be my thesis supervisor (I don't think he's super famous or anything but might be known by some). Should be able to talk about classroom success and research abilities.
  • One from my applied stats prof who I will have had for two (or maybe three) classes. Should be pretty strong, I go to office hours a lot.

Other comments
  • My biggest worry is that I haven't taken analysis or measure theory. I'm hoping I'll have room in my schedule to take one or two math classes in the fall before I apply (which might actually be enough for a math minor).
  • My other worry is that I haven't technically done any stats research or gotten published anywhere. My department head told me that undergrad research in the department is "rare," so I've had to substitute with applied research in econ and demography.
  • I think my biggest strengths are my GRE and GPA. My stats coursework will be pretty solid too by the time I graduate. I'm also pretty confident that I can write a good personal statement.

Schools I'm looking at
  • Dream schools for stats PhD: Duke, Penn, Michigan
  • Others for stats PhD: Penn State, Columbia, UNC, NC State, UIUC, Michigan State, Northwestern, ... (suggestions welcome!!!)
  • Survey methodology masters programs: Maryland, Michigan

Any advice for how I can strengthen my profile over the next year or so would be much appreciated. Hopefully I'm not being totally delusional about the schools I listed. Am I overreaching? I'm definitely open for feedback and suggestions. Also, my interests evolve all the time, but I know I'm interested in social science statistics. Are there any programs in that area that I should be considering? I eventually want to work in industry/federal research/etc, not academia. Thanks!

Your profile looks quite strong. Not entirely sure how to advise you on whether the schools you've chosen are realistic or not, as I'm not from the US myself.

On the question of how to improve, I would definitely say to take real analysis - even if you want to do social science statistics, if you are applying for a stats programme rather than a social science one, professors want to see a fair bit of proof based maths education. 

This isn't a critical point, but if you are going to self study one of SPSS or Python, choose Python.

• 3 weeks later...

Do well in real analysis and you'll have a lot of success.  Michigan State and Northwestern are below the level of schools you should be applying to, in my opinion, but your list is pretty top-heavy (though I think you have a shot at most those schools and should definitely apply).  I'd add more schools at the level of UIUC like Florida and Ohio State.  I'd skip applying to the MS programs and just apply to more schools in the 20-50 range.