SLP Prerequisites, HELP!

Hello,

I want to complete all of my SLP prerequisites starting this Summer. I plan on applying to ENMU, Longwood University, and University of Colorado Boulder. If anyone has taken their prerequisite courses at any of these schools, can you tell me your experience? How was the workload? I understand most of these courses are 8 weeks, was it intense or manageable? I will be working full time so taking 1 class at a time would be my preference. Are any/all of the exams proctored? I was never good at science in undergrad, so it is a fear of mine that the Professor's will teach poorly, or I will not be able to keep up. I got my first Master's in social work online, and I found it very beneficial. I do not know how it would be for science related courses. Any feedback would be appreciated, thank you!

I took 2 courses at ENMU and have a friend that has taken several others after I recommended it. Our experiences have been generally good. I took Anatomy of the Speech and Hearing Mechanism and Aural Rehab, and I took them simultaneously while also completing a statistics course elsewhere and working a full time job over the summer. Aural Rehab made use of recorded in-person lectures, which I appreciated. The anatomy course was dry, but that's pretty standard for that topic. The workload was mostly self-guided and very manageable, with limited group work and no synchronous meetings. They were by far the most cost-effective outside of taking community college courses. Had I known about ENMU sooner, I would have done all of my pre-reqs through them. 

Just now, meadymalarkey said:

I took 2 courses at ENMU and have a friend that has taken several others after I recommended it. Our experiences have been generally good. I took Anatomy of the Speech and Hearing Mechanism and Aural Rehab, and I took them simultaneously while also completing a statistics course elsewhere and working a full time job over the summer. Aural Rehab made use of recorded in-person lectures, which I appreciated. The anatomy course was dry, but that's pretty standard for that topic. The workload was mostly self-guided and very manageable, with limited group work and no synchronous meetings. They were by far the most cost-effective outside of taking community college courses. Had I known about ENMU sooner, I would have done all of my pre-reqs through them. 

I should add that while none of my exams were proctored at ENMU, Aural Rehab was set up so that you couldn't go back to change any of your answers. It was all open-book though.

I took courses at longwood university and worked full time as well. It was manageable even when I took a full load one semester. Like any course you just need to stay on top of everything. I am not sure if they’ve changed anything since last year, but we were given slides to read and sometimes study guides then the test. For the tests we used honorlock so our screen was recorded and so were we. I’m not sure if an actual person watched us but sometimes i received like a message to look in the camera or something of the sort.

Hello! I finished my prerequisites at the University of Vermont and Boulder and I have nothing but positive things to say about both. The professors were always available to answer my questions and you could tell they were passionate about the field/ teaching. They made sure to make the material engaging so it did not feel like you were forcing yourself to learn. None of the classes were a walk in the park but if you put in the time you will do well. 

For both programs some used online proctors. However, you will do fine as long as you do the reading and the work. I also worked full time and took supplemental courses at a local community college to raise my GPA and I found it to be manageable. Just make sure you engage with the professors and stay on top of deadlines!