African History Fall 2021

Naijagirl

Hi everyone,

Looking to connect with others who work in African history or are applying for African History this application cycle?

How many schools did you apply for? What region and what do you study?

I applied to 3 schools in the United States on the East Coast my top choice is Yale! and 3 in the UK my top choice is Oxford! . My region of focus is West Africa and thematically I look at environmental history. 

I went to Small Liberal Arts College for Undergrad and did a masters in the UK. 

The waiting is killing me right now!!!! 

Hello, I applied to African history PhD at Northwestern et al with research interest in  gender and women studies, and geographical focus on West Africa.

I have both Bachelors and Masters in History from Nigeria (University of Ibadan).

Sincerely, the wait for admission decision hasn't been funny at all. Checking my email almost every day. Nice to know I am not alone.

It is just safe to accept that admission decisions are not rolling out till late January and mid-February. 

Edited by Mathology

Ah so exciting, University of Ibadan is really cool. I want to spend time there at some point in the future to access the National Archive. 

Yeah gender and women studies in West Africa, that was the focus of my masters research. Some edited volumes  I really enjoyed were

Hafkin, Nancy J., and  Bay, Edna G. (eds). Women in Africa: Studies in Social and Economic Change., Cole, Catherine M., Takyiwaa Manuh, and Stephan F. Miescher, eds. Africa after Gender? , and Falola, T.  and Aderinto S., Nigeria, Nationalism and Writing History, has a chapter on gender which is interesting. 

Fingers crossed for the two of us. African history is subset of history so hopefully we will bump into each other at a conference or something. 

On 1/15/2021 at 7:20 PM, Naijagirl said:

Ah so exciting, University of Ibadan is really cool. I want to spend time there at some point in the future to access the National Archive. 

Yeah gender and women studies in West Africa, that was the focus of my masters research. Some edited volumes  I really enjoyed were

Hafkin, Nancy J., and  Bay, Edna G. (eds). Women in Africa: Studies in Social and Economic Change., Cole, Catherine M., Takyiwaa Manuh, and Stephan F. Miescher, eds. Africa after Gender? , and Falola, T.  and Aderinto S., Nigeria, Nationalism and Writing History, has a chapter on gender which is interesting. 

Fingers crossed for the two of us. African history is subset of history so hopefully we will bump into each other at a conference or something. 

Yes! the National Archives at Ibadan housed lots of records on colonial history and their huge database of colonial and postcolonial Newspaper is bonus. Recently, I have been doing some archival search there. 

Interesting to know that your Masters research was focused on gender and women studies in West Africa. Could you interest me more on the research?

Those are interesting reads you highlighted. I'm presently reading Oyeronke Oyewunmi "The Invention of Women: making an African Sense of Western Gender Discourses"

I do hope we bump into each other as well to have a comprehensive discourse (smiles). I wish us the best outcomes.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2021 at 10:52 AM, Mathology said:

Yes! the National Archives at Ibadan housed lots of records on colonial history and their huge database of colonial and postcolonial Newspaper is bonus. Recently, I have been doing some archival search there. 

Interesting to know that your Masters research was focused on gender and women studies in West Africa. Could you interest me more on the research?

Those are interesting reads you highlighted. I'm presently reading Oyeronke Oyewunmi "The Invention of Women: making an African Sense of Western Gender Discourses"

I do hope we bump into each other as well to have a comprehensive discourse (smiles). I wish us the best outcomes.

Yeah my research looked at how Nigerian women used western education during the 1960s and 1970s to advance in society. Yes I read the Invention of women during one of my courses this year. It would be interesting for you to read Bibi Bakare-Yusuf's article 'Yorubas don't do gender' which is a quite well none critique of Oyewumni's work. Ife Amadiume Male Daughters, Female Husbands: Gender and Sex in an African society.  I have my fingers crossed for you as I saw Northwestern results have just come out in the last few days. 

11 minutes ago, Naijagirl said:

Yeah my research looked at how Nigerian women used western education during the 1960s and 1970s to advance in society. Yes I read the Invention of women during one of my courses this year. It would be interesting for you to read Bibi Bakare-Yusuf's article 'Yorubas don't do gender' which is a quite well none critique of Oyewumni's work. Ife Amadiume Male Daughters, Female Husbands: Gender and Sex in an African society.  I have my fingers crossed for you as I saw Northwestern results have just come out in the last few days. 

Ohhh interesting topic you've written on. Thanks for recommending the other literatures, I will find time to peruse them. Yes! I received a reject from Northwestern, seems I will have to withdraw into my closet for now lol. 

Trust you are well, and hope you've your decisions and or offers!

Cheers.

• 1 month later...