Do MFA in Creative Writing programs have interviews?

M-Lin

Hi all, 

First round MFA applicant here. I am applying to 6 schools in my area because I don't plan to relocate. Done with all but one. 

Just curious about the application process - do programs have interview processes or all decisions are made based on written materials? 

Thanks and good luck to everyone applying this year! 

14 hours ago, M-Lin said:

Hi all, 

First round MFA applicant here. I am applying to 6 schools in my area because I don't plan to relocate. Done with all but one. 

Just curious about the application process - do programs have interview processes or all decisions are made based on written materials? 

Thanks and good luck to everyone applying this year! 

Wondered this just moments ago, after remembering my partner's admission process for her MFA in Fine Arts. I should probably brush up on my interview skills, seeing as all of the schools I applied to guarantee funding. They're probably going to want to see that I'm not some sort of clever goblin before they pay me to teach kids. 

I know that Fine Arts and Film programs usually have interviews. 

Same here - need to brush up on interview skills! Zoom interviews are not going to be the easiest thing...

I have vague recollections of Pitt, Brown, and maybe UMass Amherst doing interviews, I think maybe SAIC, too? but it's very much not a common practice, so I wouldn't stress out too much about upping your interview skills. Unless it'd be a helpful distraction! 

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, orangeslice said:

One of my letter writers was AWOL for so long I got worried she had COVID and started searching the interweb for articles about 'beloved professor, gone too soon.' Long story short, she was just really behind on grading and was very gracious about the many (many) follow up emails I sent to her. After all the letters were in I sent a handwritten thank you note that I hope makes up for the hassle! So I guess moral of this story is harass if you have to lol

"Beloved professor, gone too soon" ? That gave me a nice chuckle!