NSERC Postdoctoral Fellowship 2021-2022

simulatedReality

17 minutes ago, eeb_scientist said:

Indeed this is what I was thinking. What was your overall rank if you don't mind me asking? I am guessing 3? What worries me is that if they made the decision based on my 7/90 ranking, and it's not just a typo, it's possible that some people might have received the wrong outcome.

OK, thanks for the sanity check!

Yes was 3.

Just now, eeb_scientist said:

Appreciate the response! Seems pretty clear that there is a mistake somewhere on my rankings, but that it's likely not systematic. Emailed NSERC and will update the board when I hear back from them. 

That's a bit  reassuring!
By the stretch of my imagination, "Your award letter was sent to you by mistake", is the last thing I want to see in the whole universe! ? 

In the award letter they ask to not to announce the receipt of the award publicly, until NSERC announces it publicly. 

Does this note apply to social media posting of the award news?

Or it is just asking not to post the news  in institution's website ? 

Any idea?

NSERC's public announcement seems to take more than a year (for example, public listing of awardees from year 2020 is not available yet).  

10 minutes ago, simulatedReality said:

In the award letter they ask to not to announce the receipt of the award publicly, until NSERC announces it publicly. 

Any idea?

NSERC's public announcement seems to take more than a year (for example, public listing of awardees from year 2020 is not available yet).  

My understanding is they do not want you to post publicly about it, including on Twitter. 

On 2/6/2021 at 3:57 PM, simulatedReality said:

Any idea?

Hmm, I was unaware (having not received an award myself :) ) of that stipulation in the award letter. In that case I guess folks shouldn't post their award rankings if don't feel comfortable, although this rule probably doesn't apply to anonymous postings. It would be great to hear from anyone who got shortlisted, though, as it would be interesting to see where the 'success rate' of the applications (percentage-wise) lies. This year does seem to be very low relative to others....

Edited by Herpin
Clarification

On 2/6/2021 at 4:09 PM, eeb_scientist said:

Indeed this is what I was thinking. What was your overall rank if you don't mind me asking? I am guessing 3? What worries me is that if they made the decision based on my 7/90 ranking, and it's not just a typo, it's possible that some people might have received the wrong outcome.

OK, thanks for the sanity check!

My rankings were also inconsistent. I was ranked 2/90 overall in EEB (Committee 169) but 2 for Communication and 8 for Research. It's not entirely clear to me how the overall final rankings are calculated. From NSERC's selection committee guide:

3.7.2 Compilation of scores

Once the three reviewers’ initial merit scores have been returned to NSERC, they are compiled and the applications are ranked accordingly. The three reviewers’ scores are averaged and a ranked list is produced. Applications around the funding cut-off line may be discussed at a review meeting.

For larger selection committees, a subset of top-ranked applications may be pre- awarded without being discussed. Applications that have been flagged by membersor NSERC staff, for any reason, may also be discussed by the selection committee during the review meeting.

3.7.4 Final scores

NSERC applies the relative weighting for each selection criterion and calculates the final score for each application based on the three reviewers’ scores or the scores allocated by the entire selection committee, depending on whether or not the application was discussed at the review meeting. Based on these scores, a final ranked list is produced. The final ranked list consists of up to three parts: pre- awarded applications, applications discussed at the meeting, and those neither pre- awarded nor discussed.

20 minutes ago, spider_person said:

My rankings were also inconsistent. I was ranked 2/90 overall in EEB (Committee 169) but 2 for Communication and 8 for Research. It's not entirely clear to me how the overall final rankings are calculated. From NSERC's selection committee guide:

3.7.2 Compilation of scores

Once the three reviewers’ initial merit scores have been returned to NSERC, they are compiled and the applications are ranked accordingly. The three reviewers’ scores are averaged and a ranked list is produced. Applications around the funding cut-off line may be discussed at a review meeting.

For larger selection committees, a subset of top-ranked applications may be pre- awarded without being discussed. Applications that have been flagged by membersor NSERC staff, for any reason, may also be discussed by the selection committee during the review meeting.

3.7.4 Final scores

NSERC applies the relative weighting for each selection criterion and calculates the final score for each application based on the three reviewers’ scores or the scores allocated by the entire selection committee, depending on whether or not the application was discussed at the review meeting. Based on these scores, a final ranked list is produced. The final ranked list consists of up to three parts: pre- awarded applications, applications discussed at the meeting, and those neither pre- awarded nor discussed.

Congratulations on your award!

I heard back from NSERC and you're exactly right, there is some re-scoring that happens during the review meeting. It's still not clear to me why they give us those two original scores if these were not the ones used for the ranking. 

11 minutes ago, eeb_scientist said:

Congratulations on your award!

I heard back from NSERC and you're exactly right, there is some re-scoring that happens during the review meeting. It's still not clear to me why they give us those two original scores if these were not the ones used for the ranking. 

Here we go! The inconsistencies were a bit unsettling, TBH!
Completely reassuring! 

Did anyone send an email accepting the award yet? If yes, did you get any response from NSERC with any further details?

I just got the standard NSERC acknowledgement email in response and am unsure if there is anything else I need to do.

51 minutes ago, AN1 said:

Did anyone send an email accepting the award yet? If yes, did you get any response from NSERC with any further details?

I just got the standard NSERC acknowledgement email in response and am unsure if there is anything else I need to do.

Yes, I sent it last week and requested to acknowledge my acceptance. Got the following reply from one of their program assistants, scholarship division:

Good day,

This acknowledges receipt of your message.  Due to the current volume of incoming inquiries, there may be some delays in responding.

This does not mention if my acceptance was recorded in their database, which would be more reassuring.
I will give them a call next week to make sure that everything is order. 

Edited by simulatedReality

48 minutes ago, simulatedReality said:

Yes, I sent it last week and requested to acknowledge my acceptance. Got the following reply from one of their program assistants, scholarship division:

Good day,

This acknowledges receipt of your message.  Due to the current volume of incoming inquiries, there may be some delays in responding.

This does not mention if my acceptance was recorded in their database, which would be more reassuring.

Awesome! Thanks for sharing.

49 minutes ago, simulatedReality said:

Good day,

One more question: We were supposed to send "confirmation of start date" in the acceptance email. I just mentioned the date I want to start the NSERC fellowship on in the email. Are we supposed to provide them with any confirmation from the host institution or anything?

6 hours ago, AN1 said:

One more question: We were supposed to send "confirmation of start date" in the acceptance email. I just mentioned the date I want to start the NSERC fellowship on in the email. Are we supposed to provide them with any confirmation from the host institution or anything?

In the award letter they mentioned to include: NSERC PIN, Application #, Start Date of the Tenure, and Proof of Canadian Citizenship/PR.

I think tenure can be finalized later.

Has anyone heard back from schol@nserc-crsng.gc.ca yet? I got one of these awards. I emailed them that I want to accept the award and included a copy of my Canadian passport as proof of my Canadian citizenship. I confirmed I will start the award between April 1, 2021 and January 1, 2022 (inclusive) as required. But I wasnt sure if i needed to provide them exact day of start, or if the start day could be changed later as long as it was still before 2022. I'm slightly worried since their letter said 'You must send an email to schol@nserc-crsng.gc.ca with your decision to accept or decline the offer of award by February 22, 2021 or the award will be cancelled.'

6 hours ago, Ethan7 said:

Has anyone heard back from schol@nserc-crsng.gc.ca yet? I got one of these awards. I emailed them that I want to accept the award and included a copy of my Canadian passport as proof of my Canadian citizenship. I confirmed I will start the award between April 1, 2021 and January 1, 2022 (inclusive) as required. But I wasnt sure if i needed to provide them exact day of start, or if the start day could be changed later as long as it was still before 2022. I'm slightly worried since their letter said 'You must send an email to schol@nserc-crsng.gc.ca with your decision to accept or decline the offer of award by February 22, 2021 or the award will be cancelled.'

I believe that the awardees need to provide an exact date (most probably, the first date of a month in between April 1, 2021 and January 1, 2022). 

In my acceptance email, i requested an acknowledgement of my acceptance, which I received from one of their officers. I will call them sometime next week to make sure everything is in order.  

• 2 weeks later...

Want to share an update. I have received my rank information for Committee 198 (Computer Science) this morning. This year there were 47 applicants in this committee. My "Research ability and potential" rank is 6 and "Communication, interpersonal, and leadership abilities" rank is 12. My overall rank is 6/47.  

Has anyone wait-listed in this committee received their rank yet? Please share your updates. Will help to gauge the upper bound of the acceptance rate for this committee. 

6 hours ago, simulatedReality said:

Want to share an update. I have received my rank information for Committee 198 (Computer Science) this morning. This year there were 47 applicants in this committee. My "Research ability and potential" rank is 6 and "Communication, interpersonal, and leadership abilities" rank is 12. My overall rank is 6/47.  

Has anyone wait-listed in this committee received their rank yet? Please share your updates. Will help to gauge the upper bound of the acceptance rate for this committee. 

Committee 198 (Computer Science),  I was waitlisted at 14/47.  Anyone waitlisted higher than that?

On 2/26/2021 at 4:55 PM, simulatedReality said:

I would like to ask a question about Committee 198, I appreciate it if you can share any knowledge about this. I got the details of the results of PDF, which are not clear to me. It shows that out of 47 applications my rank is 45!! Two things are weird: 1) Across Canada, only 47 applications have been submitted in the computer science field to NSERC?! Does it look normal to you?! 2) In 2016, in the second year of my Ph.D. I applied for NSERC post-graduate scholarship while I had one published journal paper and one submitted. That time I won the Doctoral (CGS D) award, which is offered to the top-ranked applicants; (35k per year for two years). Now I am in the last semester of my Ph.D. During these years I published two Journal papers both of which have the highest number of citations among 54 papers that my supervisor has published during these years. Also, I published 4 more conference papers in the most prestigious conferences of my field with an 18% acceptance rate. I also have been a co-reviewer and reviewer of several conferences.  Now, while I have done a great job after winning the Doctoral (CGS D) award, does it make sense that my application is ranked as worse than 95% of other applications in committee 198! Does it make sense? Do these numbers have other meaning that I am not aware of? Is it possible that there is a human error?! Is it possible that I have submitted to a wrong committee?