NSERC Postdoctoral Fellowship 2021-2022

simulatedReality

2 hours ago, MM11 said:

I would like to ask a question about Committee 198, I appreciate it if you can share any knowledge about this. I got the details of the results of PDF, which are not clear to me. It shows that out of 47 applications my rank is 45!! Two things are weird: 1) Across Canada, only 47 applications have been submitted in the computer science field to NSERC?! Does it look normal to you?! 2) In 2016, in the second year of my Ph.D. I applied for NSERC post-graduate scholarship while I had one published journal paper and one submitted. That time I won the Doctoral (CGS D) award, which is offered to the top-ranked applicants; (35k per year for two years). Now I am in the last semester of my Ph.D. During these years I published two Journal papers both of which have the highest number of citations among 54 papers that my supervisor has published during these years. Also, I published 4 more conference papers in the most prestigious conferences of my field with an 18% acceptance rate. I also have been a co-reviewer and reviewer of several conferences.  Now, while I have done a great job after winning the Doctoral (CGS D) award, does it make sense that my application is ranked as worse than 95% of other applications in committee 198! Does it make sense? Do these numbers have other meaning that I am not aware of? Is it possible that there is a human error?! Is it possible that I have submitted to a wrong committee?

Sorry to hear about your ranking. Given your profile, 45/47 looks a bit surprising to me. I see some explanations though.

While publication record is a part (and perhaps a big part) of a application package, the other parts are important as well. For example, if the reviewers sense that something is quite wrong in with the research proposal, then their impression on the overall application package can go down.  A red flag borne out of reference letters may affect the overall outcome in a similar way. If there is any inconsistency between the applicant's contribution statements and attestation of the referees, then it is probably a big red flag

A criterion in an application (such as Research Ability and Potential) is just not a sum of its different parts, rather, one bad part can disproportionately affect a very good part and lower the overall ranking of an applicant. 

I would ask NSERC to send over my referee reports, to see if everything was fine. Then, I would look at the research proposal to see if it had any major issues.   

Regarding the applicant counts, the number of PDF applications are usually significantly lower than PGSD applications. In fact, this year total number of applicants (47) in this committee has increased by 51% compared to the competition year 2018 (31), the only year among the last three years, for which information on total number of applicants are publicly available (see page 4 in https://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/_doc/Students-Etudiants/2018StatsScholarships_e.pdf).  

Edited by simulatedReality

8 hours ago, simulatedReality said:

Sorry to hear about your ranking. Given your profile, 45/47 looks a bit surprising to me. I see some explanations though.

While publication record is a part (and perhaps a big part) of a application package, the other parts are important as well. For example, if the reviewers sense that something is quite wrong in with the research proposal, then their impression on the overall application package can go down.  A red flag borne out of reference letters may affect the overall outcome in a similar way. If there is any inconsistency between the applicant's contribution statements and attestation of the referees, then it is probably a big red flag

A criterion in an application (such as Research Ability and Potential) is just not a sum of its different parts, rather, one bad part can disproportionately affect a very good part and lower the overall ranking of an applicant. 

I would ask NSERC to send over my referee reports, to see if everything was fine. Then, I would look at the research proposal to see if it had any major issues.   

Regarding the applicant counts, the number of PDF applications are usually significantly lower than PGSD applications. In fact, this year total number of applicants (47) in this committee has increased by 51% compared to the competition year 2018 (31), the only year among the last three years, for which information on total number of applicants are publicly available (see page 4 in https://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/_doc/Students-Etudiants/2018StatsScholarships_e.pdf).  

Thank you so much for sharing your idea. About the references, they are the same references for my PGSD application and they have written a very strong and supporting reference letter about me. The problem is not the reference letter. What else can be the reason? Is it possible that the committee has thought my application should be submitted to another committee? Is it possible that a human error is a reason?! If I was ranked for example 15 out of 47, or even 30 out of 47 I could say ok others have been better, but it is not easy to accept that an application that has been improved and well-progressed version of a PSG D application that has won NSERC 3 years ago has been wors than 95% of all applications!! I know that usually about 20%  of applications are submitted only as a  shot in the dark trying the chance and they are not well-prepared and even completed. Does it mean that my application with 2 journals and 4 conferences and two great reference letters and  and GPA of A+ has been even worse than those applications?! I doubt!

2 minutes ago, MM11 said:

Thank you so much for sharing your idea. About the references, they are the same references for my PGSD application and they have written a very strong and supporting reference letter about me. The problem is not the reference letter. What else can be the reason? Is it possible that the committee has thought my application should be submitted to another committee? Is it possible that a human error is a reason?! If I was ranked for example 15 out of 47, or even 30 out of 47 I could say ok others have been better, but it is not easy to accept that an application that has been improved and well-progressed version of a PSG D application that has won NSERC 3 years ago has been wors than 95% of all applications!! I know that usually about 20%  of applications are submitted only as a  shot in the dark trying the chance and they are not well-prepared and even completed. Does it mean that my application with 2 journals and 4 conferences and two great reference letters and  and GPA of A+ has been even worse than those applications?! I doubt!

Sorry to hear about the outcome! As @simulatedReality recommended, definitely request your Reports on the Applicant just to confirm what NSERC received and the reviewers considered.

NSERC should have transferred if your application would have been more suitable for another committee, as per the guidelines here: https://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/_doc/Students-Etudiants/SelectionCommitteeGuide_e.pdf

What were your individual application component scores/ranks?

It's important to keep in mind that this year's NSERC PDF competition was more competitive due to the once-per-lifetime limit being lifted, which also contributed to the greater number of applicants in your committee (which is usually much lower). It's also important to consider that the competition pool includes postdocs that have already been productive for up to 2 years post-PhD (and in some cases more, if qualifying for exemption). Overall, the competition is fierce.

1 hour ago, MM11 said:

It could be the unfortunate case that your research proposal has overlapping of CS and several other disciplines, and the 198 committee members were in no position to fairly evaluate your application. As @RCJmentioned, NSERC should have implemented a systematic way to handle such kind of applications.

I doubt there were human (clerical) errors involved and it is not possible to figure out if there were. NSERC competitions are black boxes. I wish they were more transparent to provide more feedback to their applicants. 

Anyway, I know it is hard to do than to say, but one has to come to peace with an inexplicable outcome and move forward. Trust me, this kind of situations happen with almost everyone at some point in their career.  

On the bright side, you will have two more years to try for it. Hopefully, you will get it next year! So, cheer up my friend, and buckle up for your post-graduation adventures. Advance congratulations Dr. @MM11!  :) 

Edited by simulatedReality

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to update those who are in the waiting list. I got a letter last week that I am off the waiting list in committee 194. good luck everyone (my rank was 16/85)

Edited by kkam123

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2021 at 10:05 AM, kkam123 said:

Just wanted to update those who are in the waiting list. I got a letter last week that I am off the waiting list in committee 194. good luck everyone (my rank was 16/85)

Congrats! Were you notified by e-mail or physical mail?

• 8 months later...

FYI to those still on the waitlist from last year (or waitlisted this year and want a better idea of prospects), I got an offer of award in September 2021 after initially being waitlisted (20th percentile). Things vary so much from year to year so it's hard to compare, but maybe this is helpful to someone.

• 2 years later...
On 5/7/2021 at 10:05 AM, kkam123 said:

Hello! Were you first on the waitlist?