Audiology

John22345

Hi everyone. I have applied to all of my schools and am waiting to hear back, getting anxious. I have applied to KU, Wichita State, OU, WashU, Arkansas University, Iowa (stretch), Texas Tech and a few others. Has anyone heard anything from KU, or any of these schools?

On 1/19/2021 at 2:58 PM, John22345 said:

Hi everyone. I have applied to all of my schools and am waiting to hear back, getting anxious. I have applied to KU, Wichita State, OU, WashU, Arkansas University, Iowa (stretch), Texas Tech and a few others. Has anyone heard anything from KU, or any of these schools?

I haven’t heard anything from KU yet but do you know if we are waiting to hear about an interview invite or an acceptance letter? I thought there was an interview for this program but I may be wrong.

On 1/20/2021 at 7:31 PM, TayTay6 said:

I haven’t heard anything from KU yet but do you know if we are waiting to hear about an interview invite or an acceptance letter? I thought there was an interview for this program but I may be wrong.

I went to the Zoom open houses, no interviews! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2021 at 12:06 PM, SAHLOUSEK said:

I'm in my last year of my AuD at OU right now, at least for them additional COVID requirements and complexity have slowed down the application review process, you'll need to be patient ?

Hi! I have an interview with OU tomorrow morning. I am very nervous! Any tips?

On 2/11/2021 at 4:56 PM, John22345 said:

I did not apply to those schools, but I did apply to Texas Tech. Did you? I am waiting to hear from them.

I applied there too! However I haven't heard back from them yet or the other schools I mentioned.

On 1/25/2021 at 12:06 PM, SAHLOUSEK said:

I'm in my last year of my AuD at OU right now, at least for them additional COVID requirements and complexity have slowed down the application review process, you'll need to be patient ?

How do you like their AuD program? My interview with them went great, every one seemed to nice and I am excited about the program. What do you like about it?

Can anyone please tell me anything about Grand Valley's AuD program? Did anyone experience their interview process? It is 3 hours long and I am wondering what all it entails. I know this program is not yet accredited, but are they going to be soon? The in-state tuition for all is great. Does anyone know anything about this program, is it worth interviewing for? Thanks!

8 minutes ago, earadicate said:

nope! i feel like we'll prob hear back in march. do they do interviews? for some reason I thought they did but I don't think they do?

8 minutes ago, earadicate said:

nope! i feel like we'll prob hear back in march. do they do interviews? for some reason I thought they did but I don't think they do?

I knew someone who heard back late Feb last year. It said on their website that they were not doing interviews but you could schedule one yourself if you wanted to learn more about the program or had questions.

19 hours ago, John22345 said:

How do you like their AuD program? My interview with them went great, every one seemed to nice and I am excited about the program. What do you like about it?

The clinical faculty are great, and do their best to teach you. I'd recommend it.

21 hours ago, John22345 said:

Can anyone please tell me anything about Grand Valley's AuD program? Did anyone experience their interview process? It is 3 hours long and I am wondering what all it entails. I know this program is not yet accredited, but are they going to be soon? The in-state tuition for all is great. Does anyone know anything about this program, is it worth interviewing for? Thanks!

So Grand Valley is a new program and they were approved as a candidate for accreditation before their first class started. In order to be licensed and obtain certification (CCC’s or ABA) you just need to graduate from a university that is accredited by CAA or a candidate. All newly developed programs are candidates for their first 5 years before they are fully accredited. It is okay to attend a program that is a candidate as they are on track to be fully accredited and you will still be eligible for licensure. Dr. Halling the department chair at GVSU came from IU so I have faith the program is great and he is knowledgeable of the accreditation requirements. I’d definitely interview! I did my undergrad at GV and am an AuD student elsewhere (the AuD program was not a candidate yet when I graduated). Just know 3 year programs are very intensive, I’m currently in a 4 year program and some days were very overwhelming (I do work part time) I couldn’t imagine doing it all in 3 years. 

2 minutes ago, FutureAuD8 said:

So Grand Valley is a new program and they were approved as a candidate for accreditation before their first class started. In order to be licensed and obtain certification (CCC’s or ABA) you just need to graduate from a university that is accredited by CAA or a candidate. All newly developed programs are candidates for their first 5 years before they are fully accredited. It is okay to attend a program that is a candidate as they are on track to be fully accredited and you will still be eligible for licensure. Dr. Halling the department chair at GVSU came from IU so I have faith the program is great and he is knowledgeable of the accreditation requirements. I’d definitely interview! I did my undergrad at GV and am an AuD student elsewhere (the AuD program was not a candidate yet when I graduated). Just know 3 year programs are very intensive, I’m currently in a 4 year program and some days were very overwhelming (I do work part time) I couldn’t imagine doing it all in 3 years. 

Thank you for this information I appreciate it! Do you know by chance how many years they have been a candidate for? 

8 minutes ago, John22345 said:

Thank you for this information I appreciate it! Do you know by chance how many years they have been a candidate for? 

You must be a candidate for 5 years before you can be fully accredited. If you’re concerned I would go to the CAA accreditation website and you can read all about the accreditation process and see which schools are fully accredited, which are candidates, and which are on probation. 

"On 2/21/2019, University of Washington reported to the CAA its intent to voluntarily withdraw from accreditation for the clinical doctoral program in audiology (AuD) due to the pending closure of this program. The program will maintain its current status with the CAA until the program has closed, barring any interim decisions by the CAA or program, the withdrawal will take effect on 6/30/2021."

What exactly does this mean? Thank you in advance!

2 minutes ago, John22345 said:

"On 2/21/2019, University of Washington reported to the CAA its intent to voluntarily withdraw from accreditation for the clinical doctoral program in audiology (AuD) due to the pending closure of this program. The program will maintain its current status with the CAA until the program has closed, barring any interim decisions by the CAA or program, the withdrawal will take effect on 6/30/2021."

What exactly does this mean? Thank you in advance!

This means that University of Washington closed their program, they did so voluntarily CAA did not tell them to close. I think they closed because the university no longer wanted to have an AuD program (A similar thing happened to Sanford University). Washington stopped admitting new students, they did not have a class start in 2018 so 2017 was their last starting class. You cannot apply for this program. They are remaining accredited through June 2021 so the class that entered in 2017 (class of 2021) can graduate from an accredited university to obtain licensure. 

On 2/17/2021 at 9:22 AM, FutureAuD8 said:

This means that University of Washington closed their program, they did so voluntarily CAA did not tell them to close. I think they closed because the university no longer wanted to have an AuD program (A similar thing happened to Sanford University). Washington stopped admitting new students, they did not have a class start in 2018 so 2017 was their last starting class. You cannot apply for this program. They are remaining accredited through June 2021 so the class that entered in 2017 (class of 2021) can graduate from an accredited university to obtain licensure. 

This is the program in St. Louis, correct? I know someone who applied to this program last fall and she is there now in her first year at the program. I was able to apply this year as well. I am confused! 

On 2/17/2021 at 9:41 AM, John22345 said:

This is the program in St. Louis, correct? I know someone who applied to this program last fall and she is there now in her first year at the program. I was able to apply this year as well. I am confused! 

No the program in St. Louis is Washington University (WashU). The program that closed is University of Washington (in the state of Washington). Definitely confusing when programs have very similar names. I'm in Ohio and a similar thing happens with Ohio State University (OSU) vs. Ohio University (OU).