Managing mental health in graduate school

tallgradstudent

Wanted to start a conversation, find that a lot of people don't talk about their struggles due to stigma, shame, etc. Also think many could benefit and find hope!

How do you manage your mental health throughout the stress of graduate school?  

I do a few things. I’ve had mental health problems on and off for a long time so I have some experience :P

- First of all, these things ebb and flow so it’s helpful to remind myself that a funk will end. I won’t feel like that forever. 
- Exercise. Honestly the most helpful thing. I feel more energized and positive about myself and my body. 
- Make sure I eat well. When I’m depressed I don’t feel like cooking. But, I give myself permission to eat a frozen dinner or burrito because that’s better than Oreos and chips. 

- Have someone I can talk to personally/professionally. Last winter/spring shit was hard. I dragged myself to a therapist and got some meds sorted out. Plus I can always call my mom or chat with my cohort. 
- Break large tasks into smaller chunks/goals. Sometimes it needs to be tiny like do at least 5 minutes. If you don’t feel like continuing you don’t have to. But tomorrow we’ll try again. 
- Most importantly I do my best to be kind to myself. Not shame myself for not getting work done or sitting on my ass. I’m awesome and capable and I just need to take extra good care of myself in that moment. 

Those are things that I do and they work pretty well. It’s important to know what kind of resources are available to you. Sometimes that’s counseling but it can also be an internet resource or friend or DnD group. Pets are great too. It feels good to take care of someone else. 

On 1/25/2021 at 6:18 PM, MinDZ said:

I do a few things. I’ve had mental health problems on and off for a long time so I have some experience :P

- First of all, these things ebb and flow so it’s helpful to remind myself that a funk will end. I won’t feel like that forever. 
- Exercise. Honestly the most helpful thing. I feel more energized and positive about myself and my body. 
- Make sure I eat well. When I’m depressed I don’t feel like cooking. But, I give myself permission to eat a frozen dinner or burrito because that’s better than Oreos and chips. 

- Have someone I can talk to personally/professionally. Last winter/spring shit was hard. I dragged myself to a therapist and got some meds sorted out. Plus I can always call my mom or chat with my cohort. 
- Break large tasks into smaller chunks/goals. Sometimes it needs to be tiny like do at least 5 minutes. If you don’t feel like continuing you don’t have to. But tomorrow we’ll try again. 
- Most importantly I do my best to be kind to myself. Not shame myself for not getting work done or sitting on my ass. I’m awesome and capable and I just need to take extra good care of myself in that moment. 

Those are things that I do and they work pretty well. It’s important to know what kind of resources are available to you. Sometimes that’s counseling but it can also be an internet resource or friend or DnD group. Pets are great too. It feels good to take care of someone else. 

Hear, hear! Love that you've found what works for you. I know this will be a helpful post others can refer back to if they are having a tough time... Which, mind you, totally understandable when applying to graduate programs (plus our little friend, COVID-19). 

I think people downplay how even 30 minutes of movement per day benefits our mental health so much. As well as, reaching out for help! There's a lot of stigma attached to struggling with mental health, and *gasp*, not being perfect. Talking about what we go through, if comfortable, breaks that shame/guilt cycle that keeps people stuck for years.

Thanks for sharing your experience! :)