Do grad schools care about how many credits you take in a semester?

thatgirltag

Question

I have health issues so I am only able to handle four classes a semester, which totals to 12 credits. Do grad schools look at how many credits you take in a semester?  Does the amount of credits you take matter to them? I am worried that grad schools are going to look down on me for taking such few credits. Not sure if it matters, but I'm interested in MSW/MPH program. I'm still going to graduate in four years, so its not like I'm taking extra long to complete my degree.

3 answers to this question

Yes, but 12 seems to be (from what I've seen) the upper bound of what grad schools expect students to take. Honestly, 4 grad classes in a term seems like academic suicide. It seems to be closer to 3 (9 Semester Credits). Some are even less for full-time status if you have a TA position, eg. ASU only requires it's TA's to take 6 credits to stay full-time.

Disclaimer: All my experience is STEM based. Your milage may vary.

-UD

Its perfectly fine! You were still a full time student 

But just in case you still want to take it slow in grad school: A full time grad student is usually around 9 hours. But sometimes departments have contingency plans in place where you could do “independent study” for credit hours. It was basically a space holder with an understanding that you’d be using some of that time for study. Classes like that may extend the length of your overall coursework. But see if your university has something similar!

Edited by Oklash