Did UC Berkeley send out all acceptances?

RoPhilos

According to announcements in Facebook group, we know at least two acceptances and one waitlist. I have no idea whatsoever about whether all offers are out, but as of now I tend to assume that the ship has sailed.

Nevertheless, I do indeed have one question: it seems that Berkeley announced all their offers via phone calls, but what about international applicants? Does that mean no international applicant is accepted this year?

14 minutes ago, Christopher Sun said:

According to announcements in Facebook group, we know at least two acceptances and one waitlist. I have no idea whatsoever about whether all offers are out, but as of now I tend to assume that the ship has sailed.

Nevertheless, I do indeed have one question: it seems that Berkeley announced all their offers via phone calls, but what about international applicants? Does that mean no international applicant is accepted this year?

Thanks for the info. I just checked the gradcafe results following your post, and there were no admitted international applicants for the last five years. I also checked the UCB philosophy website, and it turns out that only 4 out of 47 grad students can be considered as "international applicants (without US degree.)" I guess what you're assuming can be true for this cycle too. 

Yes, odds are extremely like that all of the acceptances and waitlists have gone out. The vast majority of programs release all decisions on the same day (though they may release different kinds of decisions on different days)

Edited by PolPhil

If they intend to admit (only) 2 students, why don't they waitlist more people? Either the acceptances and waitlists are not all out, or they consider serisouly the possibility of not even getting anyone enrolled (since the 3 who hear back, of course, might go to other programs).

23 minutes ago, PhilCoffee said:

If they intend to admit (only) 2 students, why don't they waitlist more people? Either the acceptances and waitlists are not all out, or they consider serisouly the possibility of not even getting anyone enrolled (since the 3 who hear back, of course, might go to other programs).

How do you know that they only admitted two students? Yuu do realize that the majority of people don't post their results on the Grad Cafe, yeah? 

Edited by PolPhil

22 minutes ago, PhilCoffee said:

Hmm makes sense but I guess what @Dolphil said should be true by now, because most of the schools give admissions to applicants on the same day. Either the applicants didn't post the results on the gradcafe (like 2019) or the department gave only a few admissions to the applicants for this cycle.

13 minutes ago, PolPhil said:

How do you know that they only admitted two students? Yuu do realize that the majority of people don't post their results on the Grad Cafe, yeah? 

Of course I do, as everyone else here does. I really do not really mean two. I intended to refer to the actual number of acceptances that are out on Friday, which seem relatively small, as you may agree.

6 minutes ago, PhilCoffee said:

Of course I do, as everyone else here does. I really do not really mean two. I intended to refer to the actual number of acceptances that are out on Friday, which seem relatively small, as you may agree.

But how do you know how many acceptances were out on Friday? 

Just now, PolPhil said:

But how do you know how many acceptances were out on Friday? 

I assume the ratio of those who post results here and on the FB group don't vary among applicants for different schools. And that's what I mean by relatively small. The assumption is very likely to be wrong, of course.

Just now, PhilCoffee said:

I assume the ratio of those who post results here and on the FB group don't vary among applicants for different schools. And that's what I mean by relatively small. The assumption is very likely to be wrong, of course.

But most applicants for virtually all of the schools don't post here. Typically, only like 15-40% of admits post here

10 minutes ago, PolPhil said:

But most applicants for virtually all of the schools don't post here. Typically, only like 15-40% of admits post here

Right. The numbers could be lile, say, 4 acceptances and 8 waitlists or could be, say, 4 acceptances and 2 waitlists. I was not assuming the latter is the case, but was thinking about what it would mean if latter were the case - the former seems pretty normal.

10 hours ago, PolPhil said:

There aren't going to be 8 waitlists if there are 4 acceptances, that's for sure. There are usually no more waitlists than acceptances

I think it depends on the school. UVA a couple of years ago had like 20 people on their waitlist for a small number of admits.

2 minutes ago, HomoLudens said:

I think it depends on the school. UVA a couple of years ago had like 20 people on their waitlist for a small number of admits.

Hence I said "usually"

I applied to LMS. I have no idea- it looks like they tend to release anywhere from early to mid February, but there’s very little data. It would be such a cool program to attend, I think my chances are slim but I’m hopeful.