Criminology and Criminal Justice MS / PhD 2021 App Cycle

I applied to three schools and was wondering if anyone has heard back from yet. I've heard back from Northeastern University and was accepted into their Master's program. Still waiting to hear back from John Jay (PhD program), and University of Maryland (MS). Also just curious to hear where people applied! 

I applied for a CJ PhD to John Jay as well--still waiting on a reply from them and the University of Illinois-Chicago, University of Missouri-St. Louis, and University of Cincinnati. Just last week received an acceptance email from Indiana University-Bloomington. Best of luck!

On 2/8/2021 at 10:17 AM, SharayahShay said:

I applied for a CJ PhD to John Jay as well--still waiting on a reply from them and the University of Illinois-Chicago, University of Missouri-St. Louis, and University of Cincinnati. Just last week received an acceptance email from Indiana University-Bloomington. Best of luck!

Congratulations on your acceptance to Indiana University-Bloomington! Good luck on your other programs!

6 hours ago, nerdyjilly said:

I'm waiting to hear back from JJ and wondering how many applicants there were, since there were more than usual for the psych program. 

I'm curious, too. The director at Northeastern said this app cycle was "ridiculously competitive" for the PhD program. They usually receive 50 applications and this year received 100+. It was a combo of people going back to school after losing their jobs due to Covid and the GRE being waived. 

I have my interviews for JJ lined up for next week! However, I was just notified that I was rejected from Florida State University which was my dream school :( That's alright, everything happens for a reason! Will most likely be attending University of South Carolina's program!

Good luck to everyone else waiting for decisions and congrats to everyone who got into schools so far!!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2021 at 1:38 PM, kamCCJ2021 said:

I didn't get in to JJ PhD program, which is a let down, but that was a stretch and one of my professors for the LoR went MIA, but I got into University of Maryland! So now it's decision time between Northeastern University and University of Maryland! I hope everyone gets decisions soon!

Congratulations!!!

On 2/16/2021 at 1:09 PM, kamCCJ2021 said:

That's so exciting! Congratulations!!

Thank you!

On 2/19/2021 at 2:57 PM, christinitalabarista said:

I have my interviews for JJ lined up for next week! However, I was just notified that I was rejected from Florida State University which was my dream school :( That's alright, everything happens for a reason! Will most likely be attending University of South Carolina's program!

Good luck to everyone else waiting for decisions and congrats to everyone who got into schools so far!!!

I think I saw you in that meeting last week! Good luck!

On 2/19/2021 at 2:57 PM, christinitalabarista said:

Good grief I am so sorry you got rejected. I don't know why I skipped that part. I know it really really sucks. BUT like you said, things do happen for a reason so maybe you'll be going on to do better things someplace else. :)

@nerdyjilly yes I definitely noticed you at the meeting last week haha. Seems like there's a really cool, accomplished group of people waiting to get accepted :) And thank you!! It sucks, but this admissions cycle was brutal. 

(Also, I reached out to both Northeastern and FSU for feedback on my application after I was rejected and I was shocked to receive responses from both of them! FSU was a lot nicer and actually went in detail. Northeastern sort of just said they couldn't comment directly but they insinuated that my research interests weren't a good fit with their program which was fair). 

Anyone else get accepted to University of South Carolina? That's my first choice at the moment and I'd love to know how people feel about the program!

Hi everyone! I posted on the other thread as well but I figured I'd contribute to this one as well! 

So far I've been accepted with funding to University of Cincinnati, ASU, FSU, USF, and Rutgers!!! I didn't get funding from George Mason but I did get accepted. I was waitlisted at SHSU but I withdrew my application today because it was my last choice and hopefully I can give my spot on the waitlist to someone else. I'm not waiting to hear back from anyone else so now it's decision making time on my end. 

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!!!!! 

27 minutes ago, ssx1 said:

Hi everyone! I posted on the other thread as well but I figured I'd contribute to this one as well! 

So far I've been accepted with funding to University of Cincinnati, ASU, FSU, USF, and Rutgers!!! I didn't get funding from George Mason but I did get accepted. I was waitlisted at SHSU but I withdrew my application today because it was my last choice and hopefully I can give my spot on the waitlist to someone else. I'm not waiting to hear back from anyone else so now it's decision making time on my end. 

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!!!!! 

You are a SUPERSTAR! This is really awesome to read. Congratulations!! 

14 minutes ago, nerdyjilly said:

You are a SUPERSTAR! This is really awesome to read. Congratulations!! 

Thank you so much! I didn't get into a PhD program last year when I applied, but I was able to get into a good one year Master's program. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would have so many acceptances after getting rejected to pretty much every program I applied to last year but I'm honestly so grateful. I remember thinking to myself oh I hope I get into at least 2 schools so I can at least make a choice myself, but now I find myself a little overwhelmed haha

21 minutes ago, ssx1 said:

Thank you so much! I didn't get into a PhD program last year when I applied, but I was able to get into a good one year Master's program. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would have so many acceptances after getting rejected to pretty much every program I applied to last year but I'm honestly so grateful. I remember thinking to myself oh I hope I get into at least 2 schools so I can at least make a choice myself, but now I find myself a little overwhelmed haha

You are killing it! I was rejected from JJ once too, then got a Masters. Sometimes we just have to find a different path—and usually that means more opportunities. I hope you choose the best school to get you where you want to be. 

1 hour ago, nerdyjilly said:

You are killing it! I was rejected from JJ once too, then got a Masters. Sometimes we just have to find a different path—and usually that means more opportunities. I hope you choose the best school to get you where you want to be. 

Thank you so much!!! I hope you get hear back from JJ soon, the waiting is definitely the worst part of the whole process 

SENDING GOOD VIBES TO EVERYONE 

18 hours ago, christinitalabarista said:

@nerdyjilly yes I definitely noticed you at the meeting last week haha. Seems like there's a really cool, accomplished group of people waiting to get accepted :) And thank you!! It sucks, but this admissions cycle was brutal. 

(Also, I reached out to both Northeastern and FSU for feedback on my application after I was rejected and I was shocked to receive responses from both of them! FSU was a lot nicer and actually went in detail. Northeastern sort of just said they couldn't comment directly but they insinuated that my research interests weren't a good fit with their program which was fair). 

Anyone else get accepted to University of South Carolina? That's my first choice at the moment and I'd love to know how people feel about the program!

On 3/2/2021 at 7:37 PM, nerdyjilly said:

Thank you!

I think I saw you in that meeting last week! Good luck!

Hey, how was the JJ meeting last week? I wasn't able to attend as I'm in european time and it was set quite late + work the next day... Would love to hear about anything you thought was interesting :) 

It was pretty cool. We talked about logistics, etc. I don’t remember too much since my son was climbing all over me. ? Oh wait I do remember we spoke about waitlists and possibly not knowing for sure if we will be accepted until April (if we are waitlisted) and that they can’t tell us where we are on the list. I believe the admissions committee is meeting this week, so we should be hearing something soon. 

Europe to NYC is a big move! What are your research interests?