Improving GRE Writing

nmr864

Question

Hi all. 

Covid is ruining my project, but I have to do my best for Phd. 

One of option is GRE. 

My gre writing for master school was 3.0. 

I know this is terrible, but English is my second language. 

Can anyone give me some tips for my writing or any good link?

I read GRE books, but those did not basically change my scores.

Thanks, guys. 

4 answers to this question

Hey! 5.5 here. 

I practiced a LOT of writing. I would search prompts, and just write, write, write. Look at ETS writing prompts online, they provide them and it's extremely helpful to see the set up. You can't just read the GRE books, if that worked, everyone would get high score. Actively study is what's best.

I have a strong background in writing, so I walked in with confidence - this is half of it. But I also utilized a method I found online when searching how to receive the best score. The idea for the writing is this formula ( note: I did not come up with it). RICE: restate the main argument, identify the assumptions, *correct* the assumptions, examples/counterexamples for each point made. Seriously, this helped a lot. I raised my score from a 5 -> 5.5 with this method. 

It's important that you find what works for YOU. I read countless posts online about what others did, but my brain couldn't hold onto them. Once finding this RICE method, I was set. DM me if you have any other questions!

4 hours ago, tallgradstudent said:

Hey! 5.5 here. 

I practiced a LOT of writing. I would search prompts, and just write, write, write. Look at ETS writing prompts online, they provide them and it's extremely helpful to see the set up. You can't just read the GRE books, if that worked, everyone would get high score. Actively study is what's best.

I have a strong background in writing, so I walked in with confidence - this is half of it. But I also utilized a method I found online when searching how to receive the best score. The idea for the writing is this formula ( note: I did not come up with it). RICE: restate the main argument, identify the assumptions, *correct* the assumptions, examples/counterexamples for each point made. Seriously, this helped a lot. I raised my score from a 5 -> 5.5 with this method. 

It's important that you find what works for YOU. I read countless posts online about what others did, but my brain couldn't hold onto them. Once finding this RICE method, I was set. DM me if you have any other questions!

Hello thank you for answer tallgradstudent. 

I sent DM because I  have question.  Thank you